Garlic Lovers...Look at This!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And how about this one?

Herbed butter:
4 cloves garlic
1 lb butter
1 c fresh parsley
1/4 c fresh thyme
1/4 c fresh oregano
1/8 c fresh winter savory (for those of you like me...i didnt know what this was, so i looked it up- it is a seasoning... is all.)
1/4 c fresh rosemary
1/4 c fresh chives

Puree all indreds in food processor. Pack in a crock and keep refrigerated. Makes one pound.

I say smear some of this on a cheddar biscuit, and live happily ever after! :innocent:

I've never seen winter savory for sale - dried or fresh - in stores, but it's extremely easy to grow & makes a nice addition to an herb garden.

In Zone 7, NY, it was perennial with some winter protection.

middie said:
I have garlic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and I put some fresh chopped garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in with the oil and let it sit a few minutes. It's fantastic for dipping bread in !!
I've recently ordered some different types of garlic to plant. Who knew there were so many? This AM, I was reviewing some of the info from the site. They had a warning about garlic in oil that isn't made/used fresh. Apparently it's a botulism haven. They had some good suggestions about how to acidify the garlic to make it safer (tho still need to refrigerate, and only for a certain length of time.) They also mention freezing the garlic in oil. The site is thegarlicstore.com. I found their information quite helpful. They also sell a couple books on garlic - cultivating and recipes. I can't wait for the garlic to arrive, and then the harvest next year!

Hope this is helpful.

Annie, I saw that post on botulism/oil/garlic too. I am so glad I found it, because I had been warming up to the idea of making my own garlic oil by just dropping some garlic in it. Had i done it before i knew the risk of botulism if done incorrectly, then....oh dear, i would hate to think!!!!

Another diehard garlic lover checking in here. When garlic is called for in recipes, I nearly always double the amount. Also cook it far far less than the recipe calls far to prevent burning. I hate recipes that tell you to add minced garlic to hot oil. Good grief - when will these supposed "experts" learn. I always add garlic later on in the recipe. It always cooks through without burning. Please wake up supposed experts!!! Lol!!! People who are following these dumb recipes & burning garlic end up hating garlic for no reason other than your dumb recipe!

That said, I've enjoyed it raw, poached, steamed, stirfried, roasted, baked - you name it. It's good & good for you!

lol

I throw 3 or 4 whole garlics on our lpg (liquid propane gas) bbq until they soften.
Then they peel easy, and are good for adding in recipes, or trimmed down for garlic chips, or I can just eat them like oranges.BURP!!!
Ive always got a few on the fly, that is , in some stage of cookedness:)(?)!

lol on the BURP expression.

btw...i like your pic. u r quite a handsome monkey....lol !

Wow. I can't believe someone on this sight hasn't said it yet. True, original variety Brushcetta is wonderful. Fire up the grill. Take an itallian style artisan bread and slice in half. Brush liberally with a good, fruity EVOO. Toast above the fire until medium brown. Remove and rub fresh garlic all over the toasted side. No other frills are necessary. Thsi stuff is good. And to make it sublime, sprinkle with truffle salt.

Take fresh garlic and mince. Bake in a slow oven until dried. Or, use granulated garlic. Mix 1 tbs. into enough raw bread dough for one loaf. Let rise normally and bake. This makes an outstanding garlic bread that can then be toased and buttered, dipped in olive oil, or topped with any number of sauces or gravies, cheeses, meats, veggies, etc. It makes a great sandwich bread (not for PBJ's or French Toast:LOL:).

Add a bit of garlic to your next tomato based drink.

Rub raw garlic into armpits to attract Urmaniac. Kind of like rubbing sardines behind the ears to attract buckyTom. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Just kidding. I couldn't resist. I'll be good now.

It is purported to drive away ghosts when eaten and blown directly at a malevelent spook, at least according to a chinese story I read as a youngster.

Add to cheese fondue.

There is a saying in China, that garlic is not to be tasted in the cooked food, but rather, it is used to enhance the natural flavors of food. I should be subtle in Asian cooking.

But me, I like it bold in most things that I make.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Another garlic lover here!!!! :D I LOOVE it, put it in EVERYTHING! I've most recently fallen in love with roasting an entire head of garlic in foil with EVOO and then squeezing it out to create a butter that is DELISH on bread with carmelized tomato slices and feta cheese. *drools a little bit* I think I ate that for dinner every night last week. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom