"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-05-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Garlic Lovers...Look at This!

You are a garlic lover as much or more than I am since you are here!
So let's share ideas and make this a go-to garlic thread!

I haven't found a dedicated garlic thread, and I don't know if this is even the correct forum for it, but...here's for trying, right?

I once heard someone on food network tell how to make garlic paste. I dont remember how exactly...i think it was roast it then mush it?

Old 09-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I have a recipe for shephards pie and when you cook the potatoes for the mash you put in about 8 garlic cloves (unpeeled). They go all soft and yummy. Then you mash them into with the potatoes to put on top.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Wow

anything with that much ga'lic HAS to be good!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Its nowhere near as strong because of the cooking...sort of ends up mellow and sweet. Not the dish for someone that doesn't like garlic though.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
Head Chef

I have roasted garlic in olive oil for 2 hours at 200* and ended up with a garlic paste! Makes a great spread for garlic bread!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie
I have roasted garlic in olive oil for 2 hours at 200* and ended up with a garlic paste! Makes a great spread for garlic bread!
That's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
Head Chef

Oh! I can smell the garlic now. Making me wanna roast some garlic today. I use alot of garlic but could always use it more and in different ways. Love it in mashed potatoes. Garlic spread is something I have not made but will, YUM!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
A question to all fellow garlic heads!!

I love the taste of raw garlic, on certain things cooked garlic just don't cut it, there are times raw garlic is an absolute must for some recipes.
However, of course, you must suffer the infamous consequence afterwards.
I am not sure if I am the only one feeling this way, it bothers ME even before worrying about other people around me, tasting it constantly for the rest of the day and night (and it is not anywhere as pleasant as it tasted when I was eating it), and being madly thirsty.
Has anyone found any effective neutralizer to solve this problem? Just curious, I am not surprised if no one has as yet... IMHO that person, if exist, deserves a nobel prize!!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I can think of two kinds of garlic paste. One is the aforementioned roasted garlic, then mashed into a paste. I love that stuff. The second is more of a culinary technique they teach us in school. Smash the clove, peel, then chop it as finely as possible. Pour on a little bit of salt, and using the flat side of your knife, run/slide the mixture against your cutting board until it's macerated. It will not become a "paste", but the salt grains will cut/bruise/macerate the garlic, and mix with the juices that come out. I usually only use this technique with I'm making a vinaigrette that gets both garlic and salt.

Edited to change: I originally had "olive paste" instead of "garlic paste". How the heck did I manage that one?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
Senior Cook

The traditional way of neutralizing garlic is with fresh parsley... that's why it's a traditional serving garnish. Personally, I don't think it's a foolproof method.

I love The Stinking Cookbook from The Stinking Rose restaurant in San Francisco. Lots of fun!