"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Garlic mayonaise help

Hello all this is my first post . Cooking has become a hobby for me. Today i tried to make garlic mayonaise. I used 2 egg yolks , pepper , salt , 4 garlic cloves and 250 ml of olive oil. I used a food prcessor and added a little olive oil at a time . At first it was getting thicker like mayonaise is suposed to be but after 5 minutes or so of slowly adding the olive oil it became all sloppy and liquidy does anyone know where i went wrong .

Thanks

Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi, Nick. welcome to DC.

What happened is that the emulsion broke. You end up with solids and liquids separated.

If you still have the mixture, remove it from the FP bowl and add raw egg to the FP and pulse it to break it up. Then slowly add back the old mayo a little at a time and it will re-emulsify.

Five minutes is a very long time to add oil to a mayo. A slow trickle is important at the start but as you proceed, you can pour a little faster then faster still. It shouldn't take more than a minute for 250 ml. The oil should go into the FP in a steady stream while the FP is running.

Try adding a teaspoon or two of mustard along with the eggs. That will aid in the emulsification process.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Senior Cook

re

Thank you andy . I was wondering what FP stood for. Also was it the fact i blended it too long that it de emulsified. Too confirm blend it and slowly put oil in then after 20 seconds put more in etc. If you put it in too fast can it de emulsify aswell.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Cook

FP = Food Processor
Old 06-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklord1
Thank you andy . I was wondering what FP stood for. Also was it the fact i blended it too long that it de emulsified. Too confirm blend it and slowly put oil in then after 20 seconds put more in etc. If you put it in too fast can it de emulsify aswell.
All the mayo ingredients are in the FP (food processor) except the oil. Turn on the FP and start drizzling the oil into the FP while it is running. Start off with the slowest thin drizzle you can manage then gradually increase the flow. No stopping once you start the oil. You will be done in less than a minute.