Garlic powder nutrients?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
We love garlic. I use fresh when I have it, but it doesn't keep to well for me.
We use a LOT of jarred minced garlic. I know a lot of you don't care for it, but we don't have a problem with it. I also use granulated garlic fairly often. I prefer it to garlic powder, as it doesn't draw moisture as easily, and I think it has more taste.

I buy the jarred minced garlic (packed in water) and keep it in the fridge for when I don't have fresh garlic on hand. Works just fine for me!

FraidKnot said:
I buy the jarred minced garlic (packed in water) and keep it in the fridge for when I don't have fresh garlic on hand. Works just fine for me!

Give the garlic packed in olive oil a try next time. Even of you don't find a taste difference, you'll get less splatter when you add it to hot oil.

Andy M. said:
Give the garlic packed in olive oil a try next time. Even of you don't find a taste difference, you'll get less splatter when you add it to hot oil.

Ah, but I don't use the jarred stuff to add to hot oil. I mostly use it in soups and casserole-type dishes if I don't have fresh garlic:) Good advice for those who want to saute it, however!

Going back to the original question ...

anticuchos said:
These powder packages do not carry a fact sheet. Do garlic powder have significant nutrients? How does the garlic powder fare with the real thing in terms of nutrients? How long can I keep the garlic powder in a container on the shelf? It is not listed on the package. I have searched and the results vary greatly. From half a year, one year, two years. Which is the accurate one?

Dried herbs and spices will generally not have nutritional information on the labels since they are used in such small amounts for "flavoring"- not in a significant enough amount that they would alter the "nutritional" value of a dish.

Salts- like garlic salt, onion salt, etc. and herbs blended with salt (like lemon pepper) may show the sodium content - but not always.

How long herbs/spices will last depends on what they are, how they are packaged, stored, and the environment.

A bottle/jar of garlic powder might "last" for 10-years ... although the pungency and flavor will begin to deminish after 6-months ...

Thanks everyone for answering. You all been very helpful!
Yes.What were you steaming the garlic in, apart from the pot? A bamboo steamer? Or something else?
Some white glassware (porcelein?).
I don't think garlic was the only thing being steamed here. I assume it was to add some flavor to some other steamed vegetable maybe?
Correct. The chopped potatoes. Used only one clove. No taste difference noticed.

Back
Top Bottom