"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Garlic powder nutrients?

These powder packages do not carry a fact sheet. Do garlic powder have significant nutrients? How does the garlic powder fare with the real thing in terms of nutrients? How long can I keep the garlic powder in a container on the shelf? It is not listed on the package. I have searched and the results vary greatly. From half a year, one year, two years. Which is the accurate one?

Old 10-07-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I don't believe spices and herbs are required to have nutritional data on them. The amounts used per serving would be almost infinitesimal so reallly of no consequence to your diet profile.
I think they last as long as they last on your shelf but their strength/flavor will diminish and in the case of garlic powder, it may cake badly. So I would replace after 6 months or so. Buy in small quantities at a bulk food store and replenish more often.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You can keep it unrefrigerated forever. However, over time, the flavor will diminish and you'll have to use more to get results.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm in total agreement with what everyone else has said. However, since everyone in my house considers garlic to be one of the major food groups, garlic in any form doesn't last very long here. I don't use a whole lot of garlic powder because I much prefer the flavor fresh garlic provides in my cooking. And, to put things in perspective, there are only two of us here and we use at least one whole head of garlic per week. Sometimes more.

If you plan to keep garlic powder for any length of time be sure to store it away from a heat source and keep the container tightly closed. Think of your spices as fine wine. Actually some of them, such as saffron, can cost as much as a fine wine. Store in a cool dry place.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Do the real garlics lose flavor over time? How long do they last until they are considered spoiled? I do not have any place considered dark enough to keep garlics, would keeping them in a light proof container work the same way? Does it even require oxygen? What if it starts sprouting, would it still retain its flavor or be good for consumption? Also, wondering, why does chopped garlic turn greenish when steamed?
Old 10-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticuchos
Do the real garlics lose flavor over time? How long do they last until they are considered spoiled? I do not have any place considered dark enough to keep garlics, would keeping them in a light proof container work the same way? Does it even require oxygen? What if it starts sprouting, would it still retain its flavor or be good for consumption? Also, wondering, why does chopped garlic turn greenish when steamed?
There are garlic containers made specifically for storing garlic - they DO contain air holes, which is imperative in storing garlic. Your garlic may collect moisture and get moldy otherwise. Fresh garlic can last for a couple weeks if stored properly. You will know when it's bad. It will either be really hard or really squishy. If the green sprouts are big just cut them out. The garlic turning green I believe is a chemical reaction with the container you are steaming them in.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the garlic keeper suggestion. I never knew there was such a thing. Or would have thought it had a functional purpose if I saw one. You mentioned "If the green sprouts are big just cut them out." But this site says, "If garlic begins to sprout or go soft then it is past its prime. Throw it out." (Just found out about the site while searching for the "garlic containers.") I was steaming the garlic in a stainless steel pot. So is the greenish chopped garlic safe for consumption after going through the chemical reaction? By the way, I was reading about botulism. Why would anyone keep garlic in oil?! I do not even know anything kept in oil.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Garlic is kept in oil to make a flavoring of garlic oil.
Garlic keeps fine on the counter. mMine goes "bad" by just drying up. It is cheap--just get more.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

If it is poisonous, why would people add garlic to oil for flavoring?!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticuchos
If it is poisonous, why would people add garlic to oil for flavoring?!
Garlic is not poisonous. If it were, half of Europe would have died already. What CAN cause a "poisonous situation" is when fresh garlic is placed in oil and them little 'ole bacteria get a workin ' - THEN you might get botulism , in some cases . There was a famous case of this in the US sometime recently, and now everyone thinks garlic in oil is dangerous. I've been making it for years and years, and have never, ever had problems with it.

My garlic, incidentally, is kept in an open earthenware dish in a dark place in the cupboard. I'd venture to say it lasts longer than two weeks - I've had some there for a month and it's fine. However, I generally use a kilogram or two per week, so it doesn't have much chance of going off!!