Garlic question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuinnQuiver

Assistant Cook
there are five basic tastes: sweetness, sourness, saltiness, bitterness, and umami.

So does anyone know which one is more dominant in garlic?

I thought I could probably narrow it down to either salty or bitter being the most dominant taste but then I thought about the fact that garlic is in the allium- Onion genus of species and onions are sometimes really sweet....
Also I don't know if I got the hang of what exactly the umami taste is like but I sort of liken it to sushi but I don't know....

So I'm thinking still salty or bitter is the more dominant taste in garlic but...there is still sweet and umami in the back of my mind....

Anyone know?

I vote umami tho I had to Google it. "Umami has a mild but lasting aftertaste difficult to describe. It induces salivation and a sensation of furriness on the tongue, stimulating the throat, the roof and the back of the mouth."

I vote umami tho I had to Google it. "Umami has a mild but lasting aftertaste difficult to describe. It induces salivation and a sensation of furriness on the tongue, stimulating the throat, the roof and the back of the mouth."

This has my vote. I started salivating reading it and thinking of garlic :LOL:

That's about the most confusing description I've ever heard. What would we come up with for a description of savoryz? Surely not furry on the tongue?!!

Last edited:
If not for being furry on the tongue how could we get that warm fuzzy feeling inside? :LOL:

I thought furry on the tongue came from not brushing your teeth. :whistling

I think the "umami taste" belongs to "hardcore foodies". ;)

Garlic is good in my book because it tastes like garlic. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom