Gelatin, pork?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I bought two frozen ready fish meals at the supermarket. It's fish coated with bread crumbs and filled with cheese sauce and herbs etc..

Unfortunately, when I read the ingredients I saw that it contains gelatine. Does this mean it's made of pork? I don't eat pork .. could it be just fish gelatin (does that even exist)??

Gelatin can be from a number of sources, including seafood. I have seen some gelatin products labeled kosher, but, unless it says, you never know. An e-mail to the manufacturer would probably clear things up.

According to the Wiki page, gelatin is currently mostly made from cow and pig bones and hide. Gelatin from fish and other sea food is starting to come into the market, but I expect would not be very common.

I know that this is a big issue with some of my vegetarian friends.

I don't eat pork and I normally buy Agar Agar made with seaweed as a gelatin substitute.

You can find Agar Agar in health food stores as well as Asian stores. It's sold in sheet form (which is what I use) and in powder form as well.

According to the Wiki page, gelatin is currently mostly made from cow and pig bones and hide. Gelatin from fish and other sea food is starting to come into the market, but I expect would not be very common.

I know that this is a big issue with some of my vegetarian friends.

I pay $5 for a tiny bag of marshmallows that don't have gelatin.

Back
Top Bottom