General Tso's Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegitables

Assistant Cook
Me & my fiance enjoy making General Tso's and fried rice together. One problem we have is we cant find a recipe that has a saucy chicken recipe. The chicken comes out tasting good but not much sauce at all.

Would anyone have any ideas?

Thxs!:)

vegitables

Jmedigar gave me this recipe and I sometimes add red chili peppers or red hot pepper flakes and substitute the thighs for cut up boneless/skinless chicken breasts for that General Tso flavor vs. the sweet and sour. Its really good either way. Granted you have to adjust the cooking time for when subsituting the thighs/wings for breasts. When using the chicken breast meat I generally just cook it in some oil in a skillet and then tos it in the sauce and then serve it over rice.

We use this on wings and it is delicious! I don't know why it wouldn't work on thighs ...
SWEET & SOUR WINGS (or thighs ... :) )
Dip in egg - then flour
Brown on each side
Place in single layer in greased baking dish

SAUCE....
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Pineapple Juice
1/4 Cup White Vinegar
3/4 Cup Ketchup
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt

**My Note....I add a little black pepper too this. Jmedigars original didn't include it.

Combine all in sauce pan and bring to soft boil.
Spread over chicken wings and top with crushed pineapple if you like.
Cover and bake for 40 - 45 min. @ 350.

I usually let the chicken wings set after I dip them while I do the sauce. The batter seems to stay better when I brown them.

Doubled, this will cover about 3 lbs of wings that have been halved (wing and "drummie" separated) so I would think the single recipe would cover your 6 thighs (about 1 lb?).

General Tso's chicken is actually supposed to be quite spicy & usually comes out with quite a bit of sauce. It's one of our favorite stir-fry dishes. Here are 2 recipes for it that perhaps are saucier than the one you have. But, as someone else suggested, perhaps increase by half or double your recipe's sauce ingredients if you like it that way.

Siam Restaurant's General Tso's Chicken
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
11/2teaspoons minced garlic
11/2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sherry
11/2 cups hot chicken broth
1 teaspoon MSG(monosodium gluconate), optional
3 lbs. deboned dark chicken meat, cut into large chunks
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 egg
About 1 cup cornstarch
1 cup vegetable oil, plus more for stir-frying
2 cups diced green onion
16 small dried hot peppers

To make sauce, mix 1/2 cup cornstarch and the water together. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, the vinegar and wine. Add chicken broth and MSG, if desired, and stir until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until needed.
In separate bowl, mix chicken, 1/4 cup soy sauce and the white pepper. Stir in the egg. Add about 1 cup cornstarch, until chicken is coated evenly. Add 1 cup oil to separate pieces.
Divide chicken into small quantities and deep-fry @ 350 until crispy. Drain on paper towel.
Place a small amount of oil in a wok and heat until wok is hot. Add green onions and peppers and stir-fry briefly.
Stir sauce and add to wok. Place chicken in sauce and cook until sauce thickens, adding water or cornstarch as needed for the right consistency. Serve with rice. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

General Tso's Chicken
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
User Rating:

Marinade:
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, thinly sliced
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 slices fresh ginger, smashed
1 handful fresh cilantro leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Peanut oil, for frying
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cornstarch, plus 2 tablespoons for slurry
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
4 dried red Thai chilies
4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
3 thick strips orange zest
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Steamed white rice, for serving

Put the chicken into a bowl with the remaining marinade ingredients. Stir well to combine all the flavors, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Heat 2 inches of peanut oil in a wok or deep skillet to 375 degrees F. Mix the egg, cornstarch, water, and sesame oil in a large bowl until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Add the marinated chicken and coat it well with the batter. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken pieces in batches until they are browned and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels. When you have fried all the chicken, pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil. Over high heat, add the chilies, scallion, garlic, ginger, and orange zest. Stir-fry for 1 minute then pour in the soy sauce, chicken stock, vinegar, and honey and bring it to a boil. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth. Pour the slurry into the boiling sauce, in 2 additions, until the sauce thickens. Add the chicken pieces and cook until they are heated through, about 2 more minutes. Garnish with scallions and cilantro leaves. Serve with white rice.

Thanks for the good info. I'll have to try them out...Btw do your sauces come out watery or glazed?

-General Tso's is the same as seseme chicken, just add the seseme.

I finally did it! I ended up using Tyler's recipe and tweaked it a bit. I know it was good since my son ate it! I made the sauce a bit sweeter by adding a bit of sugar and added more heat with extra red pepper flakes and cayanne pepper. Here's the recipe:

General Tso's Chicken
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence tweaked by Dina Nuñez

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Marinade:
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1/4 cup regular soy sauce
1 tablespoon regular vinegar
1 tablespoon peanut butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely grated
salt and ground black pepper

Canola oil, for frying
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cornstarch, plus 2 tablespoons for slurry
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4 dried red Thai chilies

2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayanne pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, finely grated
3 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons honey

1/4 cup sugar

Steamed white rice, for serving

Put the chicken into a bowl with the remaining marinade ingredients. Stir well to combine all the flavors, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Heat 1 inch of canola oil in a wok or deep skillet to 375 degrees F. Mix the egg, cornstarch, water, and sesame oil in a large bowl until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Add the marinated chicken and coat it well with the batter. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken pieces in batches until they are browned and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels. When you have fried all the chicken, pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil. Over high heat, add the chilies, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, ginger, and orange juice, soy sauce, chicken stock, vinegar, honey and sugar and bring it to a boil. Add cayanne pepper if you'd like the extra heat. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth. Pour the slurry into the boiling sauce, in 2 additions, until the sauce thickens. Add the chicken pieces and cook until they are heated through, about 2 more minutes. Serve with white rice with a side of stir fried veggies.

Back
Top Bottom