Generic Or Brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

which do you buy?

• brand name

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • generic

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Depends on what I'm buying I guess. Aspirin, cough syrup, things like that I'll buy generic. Deoderant, shampoo, toilet paper etc... brand name.
Paper towels, again whatever is the cheapest.
As far as food goes, flour, sugar, I go for whatever is cheapest. Canned goods, cereal, soups, always a name brand because believe it or not I can tell the difference.

Hate to jump on the both boat but there I am. Love my miracle whip and brand salad dressings, except italian, but i prefer my stores brand of ketchup... Also since I usually like to have my meat cut and trimmed to my specifics, i guess thats also generic since I only buy chicken breast by maple leaf. I'm a fence sitter I guess.

I am a lousy shopper. I typically miss the sales by one day, forget the coupons when they are about to expire and I always buy brand names. Don't ask me why, because I can honestly say I don't know. Maybe its worrying about buying something inferior and not wanting to ruin a recipe. I honestly don't know but the only time I will buy generic is when I can't find what I want in a brand name.

I too buy both so I couldn't vote. Like others if I try a generic brand and don't think it matches a brand name then I won't buy it again.

Example: I used to always buy canned corn. Well one day I decided I was going to try the frozen again. I'd tried a frozen store brand before and was disappointed in it so went back to canned. Well I bought the brand name and I'm hooked.......no more generic frozen corn for this gal. I can't tell you the last time I had canned corn. But theres many examples like this.

I don't buy generic personal hygine items/make-up/ though.

I've found that with most foods, the generic does just as well as the name-brands. There are a few foods I am particular about and want a certain brand, like Bush's Baked Beans and also Bush's sauerkraut.

Most of the time, the generic or store-brand is quite a bit cheaper will save you more money than coupon-clipping.

it depends what i am using the ingredient for, but i buy both. I try for generic brand whenever possible, and for veggies and fruits I purchase fresh ingredients almost exclusively. For basic baking things i buy generic... although I always get the best chocolate I can afford when I need chocolate. One thing I think I always purchase name-brand is my sauces... spaghetti/ pasta sauces, stir fry sauces or marinades, salsa, etc. when I don't make my own. I'm also really picky about my tortillas and torilla chips, and for those I almost always search a long time for a good local brand, and purchase exclusive from the local brand.

drugs are always generic in my house, b/c they are the same no matter whose label is on it. as someone said... acetaminophen is acetaminophen

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom