Getting dim sum home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
if i pick up dim sum from china town frozen how long do i have to get home.

Cheers

If you are going to leave it in a 120 degree car unprotected, you've got minutes. If you have it packed in ice in a cooler, you've got hours. If I knew that I was going to pick up frozen, I would carry a cooler.

More than once I have stopped at the dollar store and bought a styrofoam cooler to carry unexpected perishable purchases.

If you explain why you were speeding, the highway cop will probably let you go with just a warning to slow down, you're probably gonna cook 'em as soon as you get home anyway.

Until they're thawed out & spoiled?

Seriously, it depends on how long it is from point of origin to point of destination. But if you're concerned, bring a cooler or some plastic bags & ice packs along.

That said, I frequently shop at an upscale market that's about 40 minutes away & often buy fresh live seafood & frozen dim sum, pierogies, etc. Everything arrives home in tip-top shape.

coz they have proper ice boxes to send food out i suppose , it will take about 1 hr 30 mins to get home as i am relying on public transport and factoring in walking and waiting

well i just prefer to go out and buy and see what i am buying rather than order online

I had some dim sum yesterday. It was delicious. There's a to go place 15 min. away from my parents' house and they serve Chinese fast food, dim sum, and BBQ.

Nick, carry an insulated cooler bag with ice or frozen gel pack to china town and bring home your dim sum in that. You will have not problem keeping it at safe temps for the duration of your trip and more.

If you can pre-chilll like Andy suggests you should have no problem. I pack my foam coolr with ice packs and drive 45 minutes one-way to stock up on meat and frozen pizza dough. I have never had a problem even in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom