Getting rid of the smell of garlic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
I used the last of this garlic powder at work, and asked if I could have the container. So I have sprayed it clean, washed it out with hot water and soap 3 times, and it still smells like garlic. How can I get rid of this smell from the plastic container?

If it's plastic, you may never get it out.
But try alittle white vinegar with hot water, cover and let sit upside down for a day. Then rinse, then smell.
If it still smells, forget about it.

Once garlic gets into plastic it stays there forever it seems. I'm sure there are methods, but I haven't found one yet.
I did discover a few years ago, that getting rid of the smell of garlic on your hands is simple. Just run your hand over a stainless steel pot, fork, spoon or knife and the smell goes away completely. Works every time. It HAS to be stainless steel.

Regular clorox bleach and water - one part bleach, three parts water.

Leave it for 30 minutes or so. Then soak it once again in regular dish soap for another hour. Toss in a dish washer and let it go through a cycle (along with other dishes).

Given Indian food is laden with spices to get rid of smells this is the only sure method I have found. I would not worry about bleach damaging the plastic in 30 minutes especially since you mix it with water.

My advice would be to mark it somehow with maybe a sharpie -- then only use it for stuff you want garlic flavor in! And yes, the stainless steel flatwear trick does work on your hands.

Oils and most plastics are chemically first cousins - and they fuse together. Garlic contains oils - so unless the plastic container is made from a polycarbonate plastic - there is nothing that you can do to get rid of the garlic smell. It's like when you put a tomato sauce in a plastic bowl and you can't get rid of the staining or the greasy feeling.

Back
Top Bottom