"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I don't have trouble grilling or pan broiling cold steaks right from the refrigerator -- it just takes a bit longer to get the middle to where I like it, and that means the outside will be more charred, which is what I want. I don't find that it dries out the meat.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Butter? Who refrigerates butter? Are you aware that butter goes from the manufacturer to the wharehouse, to the store, without any refrigeration until the store gets it? Butter will last for at least two weeks, usually more unless you live in the desert, just kept inside a dark cupboard or pantry.

I buy butter in packages of three, one pound, slabs. I cut one slab in half and put it in the butter dish in the cupboard, the other half goes in the butterkeeper built in to the refrigerator door, and two go in the freezer. When I am close to finishing the one in the butter dish, I add the another half from the fridge, and move a frozen slab to the refrigerator door.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Butter? Who refrigerates butter? Are you aware that butter goes from the manufacturer to the wharehouse, to the store, without any refrigeration until the store gets it? Butter will last for at least two weeks, usually more unless you live in the desert, just kept inside a dark cupboard or pantry.

I buy butter in packages of three, one pound, slabs. I cut one slab in half and put it in the butter dish in the cupboard, the other half goes in the butterkeeper built in to the refrigerator door, and two go in the freezer. When I am close to finishing the one in the butter dish, I add the another half from the fridge, and move a frozen slab to the refrigerator door.
just get a french butter dish... it's the oxygen that causes butter to go rancid.

here's a link: http://www.frenchbutterdish.com/FAQ.htm
or http://itotd.com/articles/215/french-butter-dishes/

i primarily use clarified butter (plugra) or butter ghee (purity farms) for two reasons... (1) i'm lactose intolerant, (2) higher smoke point.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I am lucky enough to know someone that knows someone that works for the local dairy company. We get one pound containers of the butter that adheres to the paddles when they are finished churning it. It is much more creamy than the stuff they sell to the stores. I keep it in the cupboard with no problems...it's unsalted too.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcotton
I am lucky enough to know someone that knows someone that works for the local dairy company. We get one pound containers of the butter that adheres to the paddles when they are finished churning it. It is much more creamy than the stuff they sell to the stores. I keep it in the cupboard with no problems...it's unsalted too.
i bet this stuff is RICH & FLAVORFUL...

what is it called... "paddle butter?"
Old 08-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcotton

Lucky Duck!!

Our company cooks in Egypt ( we had a staff house for people coming in and out ) always kept their butter on crockery and stored in the cupboards--never had a problem.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Are you sure of that? I believe that health regulations in every state require that butter be kept refrigerated at the dairy, in the warehouse, during shipping, and at the store.

According to the Wisconsin Dairy Council, which presumably knows a thing or two about the subject, butter can be safely kept out for no more than 2 hours. Butter can be stored wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. For longer storage, freeze in a freezer back for up to six months.

See this site: http://tinyurl.com/jdayo

The site states that "The fat in [butter] will go rancid if left out at room temperature for extended periods of time." However, the site also notes that the reasons for refrigerating butter have more to due with quality than with food safety because butter doesn't support the rapid growth of microorganisms. They say it's generally safe to eat until it's "very rancid."

Aside from protecting the taste, I prefer to play it safe and refrigerate my butter, and I freeze the extra (I don't use it much except in cooking). I find that it softens quickly enough for my needs, and a few seconds in the microwave will hurry things along if necessary. When I need butter for baking, I do leave it out for an hour or so, along with the eggs and milk I'm going to use.