"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Master Chef

Question Getting things to room temperature.

When a recipe says to have your eggs, butter or cream cheese at room temperature, how long do you set it out of the refrigerator before using it?

Old 08-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

An hour or more should do the trick. Of course, it depends on how cold the items were and how warm your kitchen is.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L.
When a recipe says to have your eggs, butter or cream cheese at room temperature, how long do you set it out of the refrigerator before using it?
getting steak to room temperature is my biggest worry...

by the time i get home from the gym (working out = eating more ), it's already 6:30; then, i have to take a 1.5 inch thick ribeye out and wait until it's at room temp before adding salt, cracked BP, and heating the cast iron skillet.

by the time i'm done with the sear-roasting, fanning the smoke out of my apartment, explaining to the neighbors that my place is NOT on fire... and telling them, "no, i don't have any leftovers," it's at least 9 pm.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

In the days when I didn't have a fridge I counted room temperature as being from my larder, where eggs were kept and milk came daily. Nowadays I generally leave 40 minutes ish from the fridge, longer for eggs. Also, I tend to leave eggs out when I know I am using them, but at home I get them straight from the chicken, so they are usually warmer than room temp, lol.

I think an hour is a safe rule of thumb, but if it is hot weather 40 mins is safer.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

Here in Northern AZ, it can be as little as 20 minutes for some things to reach room temp. It also depends on how dense the item is too.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Master Chef

Hi, JoAnn L.!

I cheat on eggs----if I need them in a hurry I place them in a bowl of warm water, completely covered for about 10-15 minutes-----NEVER had a problem!! Depending on what I'm using them for I'll put my microwave on "defrost" for the butter and cream cheese and do it in 10 sec. cycles (I say this because microwaves differ). Of course, if you have the time then by all means leave them out for an hour.

For Black Chef---no tips for your steak since you don't share!!!! Ha!!(:
Just kidding--- I occasionally use the DEFROST cycle on the microwave and just keep an eye on the meat. PS-- I take it that you don't have a smoke alarm near your kitchen????????
Old 08-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
getting steak to room temperature is my biggest worry...
I have a double burner aluminum griddle that I use for fast defrosting and warming. Any heavy flat aluminum surface will do. Place a frozen or cold steak on this flat surface and it will warm up very quickly.

I prefer this to microwave defrosting as it so often cooks spots on the meat.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I saw on some show that they did the same thing with an upside down cast iron skillet.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Aluminum is a MUCH better conductor of heat than cast iron so it will be more effective. Cast iron, or any other metal surface will work better than leaving it out on the counter.

Regardless, the food to be defrosted must be flat so there is a lot of contact with the metal surface for this method to be effective.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
Master Chef

JoAnn - for things like eggs, cream cheese, butter ... an hour or two ... until it no longer feels cold to the touch.

To add to what Andy M. said about bringing meat and other things to room temp ... a heavy aluminum sheet pan works well, too - BUT - it needs air circulation so place it on the unlit stove grates or on a baking cooking rack ... anything where it can get airflow - NOT placed directly on a solid surface like a countertop, cutting board, etc.