"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #31
Master Chef

I didn't mean to lecture about what kind of gifts to give. I am only saying that we need to look at the reasons behind the gifts. Taht way, we don't hurt each other unintentionally, or even, intentionally.

I now pay much more attention to the gifts desired by my wife than I did when I was newly married. At aht time, I thought I could get her something out of the blue, that seemed like a great gift by my standards. Usually, I was wrong. But the intent to please her was genuine.

As I said, purchasing the right gifts requires practice. There is a learning curve to it all. The op is doing the right thing in trying to get her something she really wants. And I agree, asking for a gift list from her is a wonderful idea. That way, you have a much better chance of selecting something she will really love, verses something you think she will love.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #32
Head Chef

After standing in the kitchen for hours, I would now like one of the heated bubbling water filled foot bathes, with some scented epsom salts to pamper my feet. Add a brand new pair of cotton socks and some almond oil to soothe them.

A medium mocha skim no whipped cream, or a hot chocolate at mid-day to help me with my waning energy. The timing is important--half way through the day.

After I've washed my hands and arms to my elbows 20 times during the baking and decorating, I need some lovely scented rich moisturizing lotion, to keep my skin soft and me smelling nice after a long day in the kitchen.

Lastly, I'd like a coupon for someone to wash the pans and dishes for a day--because you love my baking and care about me.

That's me.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #33
Master Chef

Longwind, you are so right. It is so easy to get in the trap of buying someone, no matter how much you love them and think you know them, them something YOU thing YOU'D want if you were in their position, or the very worst thing every, giving them gifts that reflect the person you wish they were rather than who they really are (i.e., a person who buys a non-domestic type spouse a vacuum cleaner (heck, buying anyone a vacuum cleaner), cooking equipment for someone who hates to cook, and the very worst, clothing (especially intimate apparel) that is 3 sizes too small and something they'd never dream of wearing in a million years). Actually think of what that person wants, not what you want them to be.