Gift ideas for my wife (who likes to bake)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a set of high quality springform pans, such as Kaiser brand, out of Germany. They are well made, solid pans that perform wonderfully.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm with those who are nixing the idea of a practical gift for Mrs. Dove. I received a weed whacker from my husband in the early years of our marriage. I did the lawn most of the time, and he wanted to make it easier for me. Needless to say, I had a hard time being appreciative. He has not lived it down to this day. Think of something she can use, but would make a lovely gift. Maybe a nice leather purse or cologne or jewelry?

Merry Christmas.

My mom got a fishing boat for Mother's Day one year--I think she would've liked a piece of jewelry more...gold foil! It is used for decorating cakes, but it can also be used for a facial.

I agree with Bolas and Somebunny!

I really do not like it when people buy me things relating to my hobbies or special interests. Those areas of my life are unique to me and part of the fun of those hobbies is selecting the items I use. Also, quite honestly, well meaning people usually tend to miss the mark when selecting those presents. I always cringe when people say I got you the perfect gift or you just have to read this book.

Buy her the kind of present you would buy your girlfriend, you can't go wrong!

One more vote against the baking stuff idea as a gift.

I don't much appreciate a gift that isn't more personal than that. For our first Xmas together my DH bought me a beautiful, expensive, convection toaster oven. I had been saying that we needed a toaster oven. Guess who wasn't happy about her pressy

And, Aunt Bea put her finger on another factor. I wouldn't want someone else choosing my hobby tools for me. What if she has a specific pan in mind and you get her something close, but no cigar? What if you get her non-stick and she wants plain? Or vice versa?

I'm with those who are nixing the idea of a practical gift for Mrs. Dove. I received a weed whacker from my husband in the early years of our marriage. I did the lawn most of the time, and he wanted to make it easier for me. Needless to say, I had a hard time being appreciative. He has not lived it down to this day. Think of something she can use, but would make a lovely gift. Maybe a nice leather purse or cologne or jewelry?

Merry Christmas.

Ya gotta give the guy a break. He was thinking like a man. If I had to chop trees for a living, and all I had was a good axe, then if my wife gave me a chainsaw, I would be thrilled. She did get me a great chef's knife that cost a little over $100. To me, I never would have purchased the kknife as I couldn't justify the price. But I was ecstatic to receive it as a gift.

Men enjoy gifts that make chores easier. And we generally don't appreciate things like a fine cologne, or jewelry. Give me a great tool over a bauble any day. I assume that as it was in the early years of your marriage, he was young as well. His heart was definitely in the right place. He was giving you the best he knew how to give. That should mean something. And to not let him live it down, trust me, though he might not say anything, and take it on the chin, seemingly cheerfully, it's hurtful.

Yes, men and women do think differently about some things. And there is a learning curve. Great marriages come from building each other up, not keeping old wounds open.

I know this is off topic, but it is a lesson that was learned through experience, and is still being learned by some in our family. You may have a great marriage, and this might not apply to you. I'm sure it does apply to someone of the many, many readers on DC.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Okay--here's a thought--ask her for a "wish list." I gave my family a wish list years ago re: things I'd like for the kitchen. And, tuck a personal gift in--a day at the spa, a piece of jewelry, a cashmere sweater....a weekend away with her girlfriends...if she doesn't want to give you a wish list, give her a gift card to her FAVORITE foody store, she can pick out what she wants.

Last edited:
i give a double pan for my wife,now my wife no longer afraid of splashing hot oil when frying fish

Merry Christmas.

lyndalou, I bet you didn't expect a lecture..:wacko::rolleyes:

I thought your story took the cake! Pun intended..I sure can't think of a woman who would be thrilled with a weed whacker! :LOL:
Get her something very personal to open and also a gift certificate to amazon.com for baking goods she'd like to choose for herself. You can even personalize and print out her Christmas gift certificate. :flowers:

Kayelle said:
lyndalou, I bet you didn't expect a lecture..:wacko::rolleyes:

I thought your story took the cake! Pun intended..I sure can't think of a woman who would be thrilled with a weed whacker! :LOL:
Get her something very personal to open and also a gift certificate to amazon.com for baking goods she'd like to choose for herself. You can even personalize and print out her Christmas gift certificate. :flowers:

My boss..... She got accessories for the lawn tractor last year and was so thrilled, it was all she talked about. The woman ain't right! :LOL:

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
Ya gotta give the guy a break. He was thinking like a man. If I had to chop trees for a living, and all I had was a good axe, then if my wife gave me a chainsaw, I would be thrilled. She did get me a great chef's knife that cost a little over $100. To me, I never would have purchased the kknife as I couldn't justify the price. But I was ecstatic to receive it as a gift.

Men enjoy gifts that make chores easier. And we generally don't appreciate things like a fine cologne, or jewelry. Give me a great tool over a bauble any day. I assume that as it was in the early years of your marriage, he was young as well. His heart was definitely in the right place. He was giving you the best he knew how to give. That should mean something. And to not let him live it down, trust me, though he might not say anything, and take it on the chin, seemingly cheerfully, it's hurtful.

Yes, men and women do think differently about some things. And there is a learning curve. Great marriages come from building each other up, not keeping old wounds open.

I know this is off topic, but it is a lesson that was learned through experience, and is still being learned by some in our family. You may have a great marriage, and this might not apply to you. I'm sure it does apply to someone of the many, many readers on DC.

Excellent post!

The OP is putting a lot of thought into a gift for his wife based on her interests, that's awesome, I hope she's smart enough to appreciate that even if she doesn't think that it is the perfect gift!

I didn't mean to lecture about what kind of gifts to give. I am only saying that we need to look at the reasons behind the gifts. Taht way, we don't hurt each other unintentionally, or even, intentionally.

I now pay much more attention to the gifts desired by my wife than I did when I was newly married. At aht time, I thought I could get her something out of the blue, that seemed like a great gift by my standards. Usually, I was wrong. But the intent to please her was genuine.

As I said, purchasing the right gifts requires practice. There is a learning curve to it all. The op is doing the right thing in trying to get her something she really wants. And I agree, asking for a gift list from her is a wonderful idea. That way, you have a much better chance of selecting something she will really love, verses something you think she will love.

After standing in the kitchen for hours, I would now like one of the heated bubbling water filled foot bathes, with some scented epsom salts to pamper my feet. Add a brand new pair of cotton socks and some almond oil to soothe them.

A medium mocha skim no whipped cream, or a hot chocolate at mid-day to help me with my waning energy. The timing is important--half way through the day.

After I've washed my hands and arms to my elbows 20 times during the baking and decorating, I need some lovely scented rich moisturizing lotion, to keep my skin soft and me smelling nice after a long day in the kitchen.

Lastly, I'd like a coupon for someone to wash the pans and dishes for a day--because you love my baking and care about me.

That's me.

Longwind, you are so right. It is so easy to get in the trap of buying someone, no matter how much you love them and think you know them, them something YOU thing YOU'D want if you were in their position, or the very worst thing every, giving them gifts that reflect the person you wish they were rather than who they really are (i.e., a person who buys a non-domestic type spouse a vacuum cleaner (heck, buying anyone a vacuum cleaner), cooking equipment for someone who hates to cook, and the very worst, clothing (especially intimate apparel) that is 3 sizes too small and something they'd never dream of wearing in a million years). Actually think of what that person wants, not what you want them to be.

Back
Top Bottom