"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Gift ideas for my wife (who likes to bake)

I apologize if this is not the correct place to put this.

I'm trying to think of a few cooking related gifts for my wife. In our household I do almost all of the cooking but my wife does all the baking. She typically makes things like bread, rolls, biscuits, cake, brownies, cinnamon rolls, cookies, etc. She also decorates cakes although she's out of practice because our family can only eat so much cake.

She likes watching cake boss and most of the baking shows on cable. I saw recently that there's a Cake Boss cookbook.

She has shown some interest in powdered food coloring for making cake icing. I would have to do some research on that to make sure I'm getting the correct stuff.

What are some good gift ideas for a baker?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

Baker's apron?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Executive Chef

When I saw the topic title I already had in mind suggesting a cookbook. I've bought the companion cookbooks for many of my favorite cooking TV shows, although I'm not familiar with the show you mentioned.

Does she have one of those heavy duty mixers with dough attachment and all that? I always envy that whenever I see a cooking show doing baking, since I do all my own mixing using a spoon.

For decoration, how about a decorating set? Like the bag plus an assortment of tips for various shapes and sizes of icing decorations.

Do you have a cooling wire rack? The ones I like fit exactly into a cookie sheet. Visit a restaurant supply store for neat stuff like this.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dove View Post
I apologize if this is not the correct place to put this.

I'm trying to think of a few cooking related gifts for my wife. In our household I do almost all of the cooking but my wife does all the baking. She typically makes things like bread, rolls, biscuits, cake, brownies, cinnamon rolls, cookies, etc. She also decorates cakes although she's out of practice because our family can only eat so much cake.

She likes watching cake boss and most of the baking shows on cable. I saw recently that there's a Cake Boss cookbook.

She has shown some interest in powdered food coloring for making cake icing. I would have to do some research on that to make sure I'm getting the correct stuff.

What are some good gift ideas for a baker?
Totaly of topic.

Tell her that person who's been to his place told you that his cakes and all bake goods suck.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Master Chef

Get a nice set for decorating. Sam's club has one right one. It's cute not too much money and she can use it for her baking.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Half Baked

I got my SIL a turntable,big cake spatula,Cake comb,frosting stamps in scroll patterns and a cookie book. I got them off Amazon for less than 50 bucks. Some edible pearl powders or a set of dyes would be nice too.
They have some kits that were pretty good too.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm not a baker, but King Arthur used to have a great catalog for bakers, and either a gift box from them or a gift certificate might be nice.

Penzey's spices makes great gift boxes. All the spices for baking sweets in a box. They are higher quality than grocery store shelf stuff, and beautifully packed to boot.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Kaiserflex dough rollers, Silpat baking mats, marble dough board?
OR a Fibrament oven insert-
http://www.bakingstone.com/orderform.php
Old 12-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Maybe get her some really high quality bakeware? Bed Bath and Beyond carries a brand called USA Pans (they also make a line for King Arthur Flour) they are really quite nice and would be a great upgrade if her pans are older or just run of the mill.

If she likes celebrity chef branded stuff, Michael's arts and crafts sells Ace of Cakes branded pans and decorating equipment. They have quite a selection.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Head Chef

I agree with Gourmet Greg on a high quality electric mixer and a wire cooling rack. The KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer is excellent.

More suggestions;
Good quality baking pans in various shapes and sizes, (I like Chicago Metallic professional line, which is aluminized steel), wire whisks, silicone spatulas, parchment paper, stainless steel mixing bowls...

Here are some essential baking ingredients, besides the obvious flour, sugars, etc. (I can recommend brands if you're interested):
Vanilla extract
Natural Cocoa Powder and Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
Semi-sweet, bittersweet, and unsweetened block/bar chocolate
Semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolate chips