Gift Mix Recipes Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
speaking of teacher gifts...
I was at Bed,Bath & Beyond, and saw they had these cute wooden bowls (about the size of a chip bowl) and they were painted with snowmen. They were only $4.00! I think it would be cute to make hot cocoa mix (with a small baggie of marshmallows attached), coffee mix and a scarf or mittens in it, then wrap it with clear cellophane and a large bow.

I'm giving the teachers boxes of truffles, 3-6 in each box. I won't be making them, but I have a couple of classic truffle recipes that I've tried that are great I could share with you if you are interested. You just have to get a little box and the tiny paper cups to hold them in.

Also I've made BEAUTIFUL gourmet chocolate dipped apples, with 3 different coats, nuts, etc "Mrs. Prindable" style. They look gorgeous and are delicious, easy to make and not expensive at all. I have a recipe for that too.

I shall dig them out of my recipe file....just the brownies? they had cakes posted too...
you know these are not mixes, they are literally baked in the jars and stored ready to serve.

Wow, these are GREAT ideas!

Now, do you give the recipient the mixes IN a new coffee cup? The cake things, particularly, are wonderful for people who live alone.

A box with two mugs, some cake mixes and some coffee mixes would be a wonderful gift for my mother and for my aunt!

Lee

QSis said:
Wow, these are GREAT ideas!

Now, do you give the recipient the mixes IN a new coffee cup? The cake things, particularly, are wonderful for people who live alone.

A box with two mugs, some cake mixes and some coffee mixes would be a wonderful gift for my mother and for my aunt!

Lee

Yes, I give the cake mixes with a new coffee cup. I can usually find some that are not only nice, but inexpensive as well at most dollar stores.

Merstarr -
You always have the right answer!
3.gif

I'm not really sure about getting carried away with "gifts" for the teacher, sounds terribly like bribery and coercion for better grading breaks, which is downright wrong, cut it where you will...

These "teachers" are making a ton of wages over 9 months working time, even if I admit they are working with our kids (this should be a challenge, given the gene pool may be wide, but terribly shallow!)

Okay, given you are going to do this in spite of whatever I say, if you are giving cookies or coffee (or whatever!) to somebody, consider that individual's concern of what will consuming this do to me? So remember to include the recipe ingredients, and sign off with your signature, averring that its true!

If its a teacher that has made a "life-changing" boost to a child's future (this does come, in a number of aspects!) make the thank-you gift a bit more permanent and significant, consider the trophies on our various "I Love Me" walls; statuettes and art are more appropriate (and note I've been down this rocky road, and a grey, balding somewhat overweight sort with a son with a whole whack more challenges than any of us ever faced)

Anyways, I'm chary of hitting teachers with such wonders, I'd sooner give them to my neighbours, or maybe thats just "me being me" once again...

Lifter

Good morning, sorry this is late, but had to make a birthday cake this weekend, and recovered on sunday...It's easiest if you print these from the site, which is
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/jar
or just www..cyber-kitchen.com, then at home page to mimi's recipes and scroll down to the jar cakes. they give step-by-step directions to make sure you do it right (and a great warning about how hot the jars get so be careful when you take the baked cakes out of the oven..those shark pads would be useful here). they have pumpkin cake, the brownies and zucchini bread. I think you could use anything, but denser helps offset the small size. I jar of brownies will be perfect for 2 people, especially if you serve w/icecream on top!
If you're looking for cheap containers for gifts, I go to Tuesday Morning a lot...they always have neat boxes and bags, especially around now, for holloween and Christmas. They have mugs too, and cake size metal platters for as little as 99. so you don't have to worry about getting it back, it becomes part of the gift!
Have a good week everyone.

Lifter said:
I'm not really sure about getting carried away with "gifts" for the teacher, sounds terribly like bribery and coercion for better grading breaks, which is downright wrong, cut it where you will...

These "teachers" are making a ton of wages over 9 months working time, Lifter

Actually, Lifter, these teachers are NOT making a ton! First off, they are paid lower wages than many, and they certainly work 11+ months out of the year. Many are at school before 7am for kids who need extra help, and they do not go home at 2:30 with the children, because many of them are still at school, grading, planning, etc till way past dark. I do give them gifts, not as bribes, but as a small thank you. I have become friends with dozens of teachers, whether they were my kids' or not. As for the consumption, I've been at their parties when they receive such goodies. They are so thankful and gracious.

These people are my heroes.

jkath said:
Lifter said:

These "teachers" are making a ton of wages over 9 months working time, Lifter

Actually, Lifter, these teachers are NOT making a ton! First off, they are paid lower wages than many, and they certainly work 11+ months out of the year. Many are at school before 7am for kids who need extra help, and they do not go home at 2:30 with the children, because many of them are still at school, grading, planning, etc till way past dark. I do give them gifts, not as bribes, but as a small thank you. I have become friends with dozens of teachers, whether they were my kids' or not. As for the consumption, I've been at their parties when they receive such goodies. They are so thankful and gracious.

These people are my heroes.

I agree JKath
btw, if they ever considered my gifts bribes...well, it didn't work!

southerncook said:
I agree JKath
btw, if they ever considered my gifts bribes...well, it didn't work!
hee hee
PS - that website looks wonderful!
I love Tuesday Morning stores too - you never know what treasure you're going to find!

Lifter, I was a k4 teacher for 3 years & I worked with ages from 6 weeks old to k5 for 2 years. I never looked at any gifts that were given to me as bribery. When I got my degree in Early Childhood Development, I got a .25 raise per hour. I worked at the same place for 5 years & when I left was only making $6.75 an hour. I give my sons teachers gifts to show them that I appriciate them & all that they do. My son has never had a teacher that took the gifts as bribes either.

There is no way a gift of homemade food to a teacher during the holidays could be a "bribe". Its perishable, so it won't last unless consumed and being that its homemade...its cheap. And giving the option that if the teacher wants to, she can just take it home and throw it in the garbage. Who is auditing who Lifter?

Wait, they are dipped up to the stick....how'd they do that and leave the top undone? I guess I'll have to read the recipe!

Back
Top Bottom