"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-18-2004, 09:42 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Good morning, sorry this is late, but had to make a birthday cake this weekend, and recovered on sunday...It's easiest if you print these from the site, which is
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/jar
or just www..cyber-kitchen.com, then at home page to mimi's recipes and scroll down to the jar cakes. they give step-by-step directions to make sure you do it right (and a great warning about how hot the jars get so be careful when you take the baked cakes out of the oven..those shark pads would be useful here). they have pumpkin cake, the brownies and zucchini bread. I think you could use anything, but denser helps offset the small size. I jar of brownies will be perfect for 2 people, especially if you serve w/icecream on top!
If you're looking for cheap containers for gifts, I go to Tuesday Morning a lot...they always have neat boxes and bags, especially around now, for holloween and Christmas. They have mugs too, and cake size metal platters for as little as 99. so you don't have to worry about getting it back, it becomes part of the gift!
Have a good week everyone.

southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:44 PM   #32
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
I'm not really sure about getting carried away with "gifts" for the teacher, sounds terribly like bribery and coercion for better grading breaks, which is downright wrong, cut it where you will...

These "teachers" are making a ton of wages over 9 months working time, Lifter
Actually, Lifter, these teachers are NOT making a ton! First off, they are paid lower wages than many, and they certainly work 11+ months out of the year. Many are at school before 7am for kids who need extra help, and they do not go home at 2:30 with the children, because many of them are still at school, grading, planning, etc till way past dark. I do give them gifts, not as bribes, but as a small thank you. I have become friends with dozens of teachers, whether they were my kids' or not. As for the consumption, I've been at their parties when they receive such goodies. They are so thankful and gracious.

These people are my heroes.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:57 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
I'm not really sure about getting carried away with "gifts" for the teacher, sounds terribly like bribery and coercion for better grading breaks, which is downright wrong, cut it where you will...

These "teachers" are making a ton of wages over 9 months working time, Lifter
Actually, Lifter, these teachers are NOT making a ton! First off, they are paid lower wages than many, and they certainly work 11+ months out of the year. Many are at school before 7am for kids who need extra help, and they do not go home at 2:30 with the children, because many of them are still at school, grading, planning, etc till way past dark. I do give them gifts, not as bribes, but as a small thank you. I have become friends with dozens of teachers, whether they were my kids' or not. As for the consumption, I've been at their parties when they receive such goodies. They are so thankful and gracious.

These people are my heroes.
I agree JKath
btw, if they ever considered my gifts bribes...well, it didn't work!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #34
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncook
I agree JKath
btw, if they ever considered my gifts bribes...well, it didn't work!
hee hee
PS - that website looks wonderful!
I love Tuesday Morning stores too - you never know what treasure you're going to find!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:26 PM   #35
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Lifter, I was a k4 teacher for 3 years & I worked with ages from 6 weeks old to k5 for 2 years. I never looked at any gifts that were given to me as bribery. When I got my degree in Early Childhood Development, I got a .25 raise per hour. I worked at the same place for 5 years & when I left was only making $6.75 an hour. I give my sons teachers gifts to show them that I appriciate them & all that they do. My son has never had a teacher that took the gifts as bribes either.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:39 PM   #36
Senior Cook

There is no way a gift of homemade food to a teacher during the holidays could be a "bribe". Its perishable, so it won't last unless consumed and being that its homemade...its cheap. And giving the option that if the teacher wants to, she can just take it home and throw it in the garbage. Who is auditing who Lifter?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:49 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Crewsk, here are the Chocolate Dipped Apple recipe, courtesy GODIVA:
http://www.godiva.com/recipes/recipe.asp?id=492
Old 10-18-2004, 02:36 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by debthecook
Crewsk, here are the Chocolate Dipped Apple recipe, courtesy GODIVA:
http://www.godiva.com/recipes/recipe.asp?id=492
Deb, I don't think they put enough chocolate on dem apples, me I'd have to dip them up to the stick! HE he.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:37 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Wait, they are dipped up to the stick....how'd they do that and leave the top undone? I guess I'll have to read the recipe!
Old 10-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Yeah Southern Cook, nothing like decadence once in a while!!!.
I forgot to mention, I think the best apples to use are GRANNY SMITH for dipping. Just my opinion.