Gift Mix Recipes Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure, You could sub Hershey and bits if you want. I just wanted to show the recipe, give credit to Godiva, this is a classic chocolate gourmet candy apple recipe. Any kind of nuts, M&Ms, coconut, sprinkles goes.

Now you girls have got me thinking...
besides apples (I agree - Granny Smiths are best!), marshmallows and pretzel rods, what other foods do you dip?
I'm just thinking about how fun it would be to have a holiday "dipping" party for my girlfriends, where we could all dip and have lovely gifts when we were done!
(We already do a cookie exchange, but sometimes those need pep!)

Ritz crackers with peanut butter dipped in white or milk chocolate
Oreos dipped in chocolate(this is a rich one!)
I'm sure I can think of some more but my brain is only half awake right now.

Chocolate Dippers:
Big chunks of Crystallized Ginger
Big strips of Crystallized Orange Zest
Just about any nice dried fruit, Pineapple!
Lovely gifts.

I don't like strawberries because you really need the SUPERSIZED ones, and they should be hard. Any soft ones get leaky.

southerncook said:
do you think we could sub. Giradelli (sp) for the Godiva..might be a LITTLE cheaper?

i just watched "americas test kitchen" the other day for the first time. they were tasting chocolate for desserts. ghirardelli was rated one of the best inexpensive chocolates.

I agree, Bucky -
it is wonderful! If you have any CostPlus stores near you, they sell ghiradelli "pieces", which are strange, odd shapes, but quite large and very inexpensive. My friend and I use these for baking.

crewsk,

Ritz crackers in peanut butter dipped in white or milk chocolate????? WHOA!!!!

Now THOSE would be a different treat on my platter of Christmas cookies!

I could use green and red food coloring to tint the white chocolate!

Lee

QSis, I love them! Just spread peanut butter on a Ritz cracker & top with another Ritz & dip in the chocolate. To give then a special look. I sometimes drizzle the milk chocolate coated ones with white chocolate & vise versa.

crewsk - I have to agree with you on the ritz/peanut butter dipped in chocolate. I haven't made these in years, back in the old days I made them with choc bark and still they were very good!! Ruffle's potato chips are yummy dipped in chocolate - hmmm wonder how those scoop frito's would be....

Barefoot Contessa's Chocolate Truffles:

1/2 pound good bittersweet chocolate such as Lindt
1/2 pound good semisweet chocolate such as Ghiradelli
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, optional
1 tablespoon prepared coffee
1/2 teaspoon good vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar
Cocoa powder

Chop the chocolates finely with a sharp knife. Place them in a heat-proof mixing bowl.
Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it just boils. Turn off the heat and allow the cream to sit for 20 seconds. Pour the cream through a fine-meshed sieve into the bowl with chocolate. With a wire whisk, slowly stir the cream and chocolates together until the chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in the Grand Marnier, if using, coffee, and vanilla. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.

With 2 teaspoons, spoon round balls of the chocolate mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, until firm. Roll each dollop of chocolate in your hands to roughly make a round ball. Roll in confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, or both. These will keep refrigerated for weeks, but serve at room temperature.

Trail Cookie Mix:

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup quick oats
1 cup raisins
1/3 cup packed flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup flour mixed with 1 tsp baking powder

Layer ingredients in jar in order given. Press each layer firmly in place before adding next ingredient. Recipe to attach to jar: Exactly as above

Back
Top Bottom