GimmeAnother1 Food Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bacon wrapped cheese tater tots

Bacon wrapped cheese tater tots

ingredients: bacon, tater tots, cheddar cheese, brown sugar

lessons learned: 1. thaw the tater tots before trying to stick toothpick through. save yourself a lot of headache. use microwave to defrost if need be. 2. brown sugar is a must. gives it a little extra taste/flavor that really combines it all together. 3. best to eat right away while warm. 4. i was sloppy and put them directly on pan while baking. they wound up sticking. next time i will try no stick parchment paper and see if that helps.

taste/result: with the brown sugar it all really comes together as a nice appetizer/snack. would make again.

Attachments

• IMG_6855.jpg
    IMG_6855.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6861.jpg
    IMG_6861.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6865.jpg
    IMG_6865.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6867.jpg
    IMG_6867.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 76
Cheesesteak

Cheesesteak

ingredients: rib eye, onions, green peppers, pepper, ketchup, long roll bread

lessons learned: 1. there are different cuts for cheesestake meat. at home i like rib eye. chuck eye or even top round works well also. 2. if you have slicer or can get sliced/shaved it's more classic type. otherwise cut as thin as you like. 3. i prefer provolone cheese. this takes a bit longer to melt than other cheeses. 4. melt cheese right in pan on top of meat once meat is near finished cooking. then if possible scoop right up into bread but placing bread upside down (open slit facing food) and scoop into the bread. 5. as with all meats i prefer to use cast iron skillet for cooking. 6. i like to brown onions and green peppers in separate pan until meat is ready.

results/taste: rib eye makes for a great sandwich imo. very tasty. i can go either way on the thin shaved vs homemade cuts of meat. both ways are tasty. i think more importantly is to make sure the meat is cut down into manageable chunks so people are chewing on long pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 71
Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket

ingredients: brisket, salt, pepper, mustard

lessons learned: 1. get at least coarse pepper if not size 16 otherwise the salt to pepper ratio is off and you want 50/50. 2. put salt/pepper in a single dispenser and shake to mix then sprinkle on. 3. use mustard (plain french) just as a sticker for the salt/pepper. so mustard cover and then sprinkle on the salt/pepper so it sticks. 4. keep an eye on your wood when smoking. neighbor had a blower on and blew out our smoker. we were checking every 30min so we caught it but still it shows anything can happen. also want to make sure water pan is not evaporated. 5. watch for the 'stall' around 165 degrees F. you want to push past this so the meat loosens up again. 6. don't forget to wrap in butcher/wax type paper. keeps the juices in and basically marinades in it's own juices. this is a must imo for the best flavor. 7. stop cooking based on internal meat temp. this is different depending on how many lbs your are cooking. 8. let rest so juices finish being sucked back in to the meat. also you are looking for it to cool of to correct temp internally which takes a little while. 9. cut with a bread knife or something serrated if you can. watch vids on cutting as there are 2 main parts/cuts for this type of meat.

results/taste: one of the best pieces of meat i have ever tasted. had brisket once the week before this so i didn't have much to go on but wow was the flavor out of this world. the meat was gone immediately. so many flavor levels. out of this world!

Attachments

• IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 69
Roasted Tomatoes

Roasted Tomatoes

ingredients: various tomatoes, olive oil, pepper, rosemary, thyme

lessons learned: 1. careful on the olive oil. i put a base down on the aluminum foil and then sprinkled on top and it was too much imo. best to just sprinkle on top in the future. 2. cut out the seeds and insides so you just roast the dry tomato portions. 3. they are still very juicy after roasting so cut the way you want before. after it just makes a mess to try to cut them more.

result/taste: surprisingly still very juicy after roasting. not really dried out. the skin shrivels and bakes but the juice is still retained. i wound up using most of them in my lomo saltado recipe but wanted to try it and see how they tasted. not sure if i would do in future by itself. maybe with caprese salad or something. maybe balsamic and fresh mozz with this would be good also.

Attachments

• IMG_6892.jpg
    IMG_6892.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6893.jpg
    IMG_6893.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Carmelized Onions

Carmelized Onions

ingredients: onion, oil, salt, brown sugar

lessons learned: 1. i have tried this several times and did not get a good outcome. this time it came out right. the changes i noticed on this time which came out right a. i used yellow onions instead of white, b. i used a whole onion or more instead of a subset of an onion (critical mass), c. i used the burner which covers the whole pan, d. i stirred frequently enough until they became a mash. 2. i let this batch go for about 45min.

result/taste: just as they should be. great depth of flavor and wound up being sweet. used in my chorizo, onion, and dill pickle appetizer and everyone liked it.

Attachments

• IMG_6889.jpg
    IMG_6889.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6892.jpg
    IMG_6892.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 74
I make caramelized onions with no sugar - if they're cooked long enough, they won't need it. I usually let them go for at least an hour, sometimes up to two if I'm making a lot. The water has to cook off before they can begin to brown, so I have the heat at medium to medium high for the first half hour or so.

I make caramelized onions with no sugar - if they're cooked long enough, they won't need it. I usually let them go for at least an hour, sometimes up to two if I'm making a lot. The water has to cook off before they can begin to brown, so I have the heat at medium to medium high for the first half hour or so.

sounds good. will give it a shot without sugar next time and see which i like better :)

Nutella Pull Apart Bread

Nutella Pull Apart Bread

ingredients: flour, sugar, warm milk, salt, melted butter, nutella

lessons learned: 1. sticky dough. need a proper bendable scraper to work with sticky dough. 2. nutella tough to spread. and with sticky dough rolled out thin you have to be sensitive when spreading that you don't rip the dough.

results/taste: awesome! what's not to like about bread and nutella. can't go wrong. very chewy bread hence the 'pull apart'. great with milk. going to try with coffee tomorrow also. i suspect it will be good also.

Attachments

• IMG_6913.jpg
    IMG_6913.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6915.jpg
    IMG_6915.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6916.jpg
    IMG_6916.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6918.jpg
    IMG_6918.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6922.jpg
    IMG_6922.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6924.jpg
    IMG_6924.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 86
Banana Coconut Panna Cotta with Berries Vanilla and Nuts

Banana Coconut Panna Cotta with Berries Vanilla and Nuts

ingredients: panna cotta - heavy cream, gelatin, sugar, coconut milk, vanilla extract, bananas. toppings - homemade whip cream, berries, simple syrup, coconut flakes, almond flakes

lessons learned: 1. like proofing yeast let gelatin set on heavy cream before moving onto next part. 2. min 2 hours to set the creme in fridge. 3. i only had frozen berries so had to defrost while waiting. came out fine though. strawberry seems to go the best as compliment. 4. straining took me awhile as i only have a regular strainer not the one for liquids. 5. basically comes out like acai bowl once everything is done. going to make it with acai next time and see. 6. going to try putting some nutella in also and see how it tastes.

results/taste: taste great! like acai bowl. fruity and creamy. loving the homemade whip cream too! would make again although beginning to end it was about 2 1/2-3 hours min.

Attachments

• IMG_3735.jpg
    IMG_3735.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3736.jpg
    IMG_3736.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3737.jpg
    IMG_3737.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3738.jpg
    IMG_3738.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3739.jpg
    IMG_3739.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Chicken and Chorizo Rice (Paella Style)

Chicken and Chorizo Rice (Paella Style)

ingredients: boneless chicken, chorizo, chicken stock, saffron, yellow onion, tomato, red/yellow/orange pepper, white long grain rice, sweet peas, salt, pepper, avocado oil

lessons learned: 1. rice is tricky. still learning how to cook it properly. got about 80-90% there this time. still a little crunchy and a bit mushy. only my 2nd time cooking rice and 1st time i baked it (yes i baked it lol). 2. put a wet paper towel on the rice towards the end of cooking to keep top moist. 3. turn about every 10-15 min. i did 3 turns. 4. brown the meats (put to side), fry the onions, peppers, tomato, put back in the meats and stir, add the rice, add the chicken stock, the rest is just cooking the rice and turning. last 5 minutes add the peas that you already cooked separately and do a final stir. 5. for saffron boil chicken stock and add to that and set aside. this will be the chicken stock to be added later on. let the saffron infuse into the chicken stock. use can add white wine here also if you want.

results/taste: loved it. just need to get the rice cooking perfected. other than that we all loved the dish and would definitely make it again. rice has a different taste than say puerto rican or cuban style rice hence the paella style.

Attachments

• IMG_6946.jpg
    IMG_6946.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6948.jpg
    IMG_6948.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6949.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6953.jpg
    IMG_6953.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6959.jpg
    IMG_6959.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6962.jpg
    IMG_6962.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6965.jpg
    IMG_6965.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6966.jpg
    IMG_6966.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6970.jpg
    IMG_6970.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 89
Pastelon (Puerto Rican Lasagna)

Pastelon (Puerto Rican Lasagna)

ingredients: sweet onions (caramelized), carrots, ground beef, platanos maduros, hard boiled egg, liquid egg (for binding platanos), pepper, adobo, achiote, maggie sauce, ancho chili powder (small amount), mozzarella, parmigiana reggiano

lessons learned: 1. cook everything separate in individual parts to prep and then put together and do a final bake to basically melt the cheese and cook the egg to bind it all together. 2. if you can use a pan that holds it all tight. i had a big lasagna pan and instead of square/rectangle it would up a bit humped like a rounded top. not that it was bad or anything but presentation not as nice imo than a squared out one. 3. ripe platanos are key. the rest you can make as you go. sweet onions reduce down to even sweeter. carrots are sweet as they are cooked. cheese is a little sweet. platanos you have to just wait or get the ripe and ready.

Attachments

• IMG_6975.jpg
    IMG_6975.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6981.jpg
    IMG_6981.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6987.jpg
    IMG_6987.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 61
Fudgy Brownies

Fudgy Brownies

ingredients: dark cocoa, espresso powder, eggs, ap flour, sugar, salt, butter

lessons learned: 1. i do them by hand. lots of whisking/stirring in this process and portions are added in order and mixed together. 2. espresso powder is a nice addition imo. also i prefer dark cocoa over regular. 3. not supposed to do this i'm sure but the batter before cooking 'is da best'! 4. have to be careful not to burn them. the taste is deep/rich enough as it is burning them with the burnt flavor can take it a little to far.

results/taste: great. prefer fudgy over cakey brownies and these come out great.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 58
Strawberry Jam or Jelly

Strawberry Jam or Jelly

ingredients: strawberries, apples, lemon, sugar, water

lessons learned: 1. use a candy thermometer or some kind of thermometer to know when the boiling is complete. 2. u will need pectin. i made homemade via heating up apples and lemon. 3. keep stirring! 4. skim off top fuzz all throughout process.

results/taste: awesome! this is one of those things though where i feel each batch will be different and it will be hard to replicate consistently. a lot of variables. that being said this batch came out great and everyone loved it.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 54
Raspberry Coulis Sauce

Raspberry Coulis Sauce

ingredients: raspberry, lemon, sugar, water

lessons learned: 1. careful with adding the water. once you add too much u can't go back.

results/taste: i added too much water and it was a bit too runny for people. i was making it for my crepes and it became too runny against the whip cream. note for next time careful with how much water you add to the mix. add a little at a time until right consistency.

Attachments

• IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 58
Crepes with different toppings

Crepes with different toppings

ingredients:

crepe - ap flour, salt, eggs, milk, melted butter,

sweet toppings - raspberry sauce (see my previous post), strawberry, red raspberry, and grape concord jelly/jam, whip cream

savory toppings - cheddar cheese, goat cheese with Italian seasoning, prosciutto, sweet cherry nub tomatoes

lessons learned: 1. use blender. u want this batter as fine as possible. almost straight liquid. 2. i just went straight for a crepe pan with the paddle attachment since i am new. not really required but didn't hurt either imo. 3. easier to make whole batch of crepe batter and them serve them with toppings. no time to stop on each one imo. they make quickly. 4. you can make now and use for a couple of days. great for fillings and roll up if you want also.

results/taste: i have only had sweet before so savory was a nice change. all came out well. can't really go wrong here. a single batter wound up making like 30+ of the crepes so keep sizing in mind when making. i tried all 3 kinds of jams and i like in order red raspberry, strawberry, grape concord.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1817.jpg
    IMG_1817.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1821.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 61
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches

ingredients: pork shoulder (boneless in my case), homemade pork spice rub, homemade bbq sauce, apple cider vinegar, beef stock, hot sauce, kosher salt, avocado oil, potato rolls, dill pickles

lessons learned: 1. i did this twice. Once in a dutch oven and in an Instant Pot. Both came out good although i feel like Instant Pot makes it mushier because of all the steam cooking. That being said both ways came out great. 2. no matter which method you use brown in the dutch oven. i don't like how the browning comes out via saute function on instant pot. dutch oven browns them much better. or use cast iron skillet. just de-glaze at end and pour bits back into final pot. 2.5 cut into pieces to fit into dutch oven/instant pot. i just had butcher do this when purchasing the pork shoulder. 3. dutch oven took me 2 hours whereas instant pot was 1 hour and 10min pressure release. 4. easiest pull apart method imo is just put on sheet pan and pull apart with forks. u can also do a mixing bowl and forks or use bear claws and then forks to fine pull apart. 5. keep some of the bbq sauce to lather on individual sandwiches as well. i made homemade bbq sauce so this is a consideration since it takes 45 min to make a batch.

results/taste: awesome! would recommend and will keep making. great dish if you have a couple of hours to make a meal. make in a batch and can store in bbw sauce for marinade for a few days also. similar to chili. gets better over time in marinade.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1897.jpg
    IMG_1897.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 69
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (and red raspberry/whip cream filling)

ingredients: cake - sour cream, buttermilk, eggs, espresso powder, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, ap flour, sugar, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt. buttercream frosting - powdered sugar, butter, heavy cream, dark cocoa powder, vanilla extract, espresso powder, salt, sem-sweet chocolate. red raspberry - cheated. store bought. whip cream - heavy cream, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, honey. nibs - parts of cake cut off and blended

lessons learned: 1. started this one off but quickly out of my league. my niece came and helped me through this one. 2. used spring pans to bake. cake came out depressed in the middle. i did not use strips around outside. will try that next time. niece wound up trimming the top and we filled in the depression with red raspberry/whip cream (wasn't part of original idea) which worked out great. we also flip over the other depressed cake to make the top and basically make an empty ball in the middle. we filled the bottom half before putting the top half on. once the top half was on and 1st coat of buttercream we decided to apple core out the middle top and pump in whip cream into the rest of the middle. then we just buttercream the opening and top looked solid. didn't have no flavor floss so wound up cutting with a bread knife to flatten out a bit. 3. parts you cut you can grind up and crumb the sides to reuse. 4. biggest mess my kitchen has been yet on this one. between the 2 of us we got to the point where we couldn't find things (like whip cream cone attachment lol).

results/taste: overall the cake was good. not great because i didn't cook the cake part properly. the buttercream frosting was spot on and the red raspberry/homemade whip cream was a nice addition. just need to work on my cake baking skills and practice spinning the frosting on to decorate the cake. thankfully my niece save me on this one. considering i made it for her to begin with it all worked out well in the end smile.

Attachments

• IMG_6993.jpg
    IMG_6993.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6994.jpg
    IMG_6994.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6996.jpg
    IMG_6996.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7002.jpg
    IMG_7002.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7004.jpg
    IMG_7004.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7007.jpg
    IMG_7007.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7008.jpg
    IMG_7008.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7016.jpg
    IMG_7016.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7021.jpg
    IMG_7021.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7023.jpg
    IMG_7023.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7040.jpg
    IMG_7040.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 95
Tomato and Ricotta Bruschetta

Tomato and Ricotta Bruschetta

ingredients: toasted rustic bread, mozzarella, ricotta, roasted cherry tomatoes, basil, olive oil

lessons learned: 1. tried with drizzle of balsamic and just olive oil. actually preferred just olive oil more. 2. it's a simple recipe but don't skimp as you need it all (since it is simple) in order to make it taste great. i.e. toast the bread, roast the tomatoes, drizzle the olive oil, mash up the mozz to match the consistency of the ricotta, etc.

results/taste: simple yet full of flavor in every bite. cheese mix worked out well. some people did not like the heated tomatoes though. others loved it. so hit or miss there.

Attachments

• IMG_6942.jpg
    IMG_6942.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom