Ginger help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuinnQuiver

Assistant Cook
Whenever I blend something with ginger it always turns out chunky and stringy....
I tried making a dip for Pho-ga and the ginger didn't turn pasty after blending, but chunky and stringy

Then I tried to make ginger garlic paste which requires
equal amounts of ginger and garlic and a tablespoon or two of olive oil to put in the mixture gradually while blending. even with the oil for help it still ended up stringy and chunky.

Is there something I can do to the ginger before blending in order to make the ginger pasty rather than chunky and stringy?

Last edited:
Ginger is a very stringy root. As mentioned, your best bet is to grate it before use. Grating separates the pulp from the strings so they are not an issue.

Whenever I blend something with ginger it always turns out chunky and stringy....
I tried making a dip for Pho-ga and the ginger didn't turn pasty after blending, but chunky and stringy

Then I tried to make ginger garlic paste which requires
equal amounts of ginger and garlic and a tablespoon or two of olive oil to put in the mixture gradually while blending. even with the oil for help it still ended up stringy and chunky.

Is there something I can do to the ginger before blending in order to make the ginger pasty rather than chunky and stringy?

Crush it in a mortor & pestal

A microplane, as mentioned, is your friend. Works great on galangal and horseradish as well. Come to think of it, fresh wasabi too.

While microplanes work great for grating ginger, I'd highly recommend a ceramic ginger grater. Ginger is VERY fibrous, and will dull your microplane and significantly reduce it's life.

While microplanes work great for grating ginger, I'd highly recommend a ceramic ginger grater. Ginger is VERY fibrous, and will dull your microplane and significantly reduce it's life.

I've never heard this before. What is the average life of a Microplane and how much is it reduced by using it on ginger? They were originally used as wood rasps and wood is obviously very fibrous, too. Also, why would the life of a ceramic grater not be similarly reduced?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom