Ginger salt ... is this going to work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OddCooker

Assistant Cook
Ok I just made candied Ginger, it was delicious! now i have a bag of ginger infused sat that costs 18.99/lb in bulk. I recovered the left over suger, and was wondering, can I do the same thing with salt? will that give me Ginger infused salt?

My plan is to do it just like the candied, but swap out double salt instead of sugar, hoping the water will boil off and leave gingered salt behind.

now i have a bag of ginger infused sat that costs 18.99/lb in bulk. I recovered the left over suger, and was wondering, can I do the same thing with salt? will that give me Ginger infused salt?

I guess I'm confused. You say you already have a bag of ginger infused salt that cost a bundle of cash but you want to boil it down and get what?

My understanding is salt melts in water, hot, cold, either. Sugar on the other hand takes heat to disolve or a lot of stirring. Just my experiences though from gargling with a lot of salt water in my life.

"I guess I'm confused. You say you already have a bag of ginger infused salt that cost a bundle of cash but you want to boil it down and get what?"

Sorry, I used Regular Kosher Salt in with the Ginger water to try and make new Ginger Infused Salt.

If it works, I'll use it as a finishing salt, sprinkled on poached chicken it is fantastic!

I boiled it down last night and Cooled a little to check, there is no real difference in color (the store bought stuff is light yellow) and I could not detect any ginger flavor, but the mass of it is still drying and seems to have a bit more color. If It works I'll let everyone know.

Ah, okay, you bought some and now you would like to make some, is that what you are saying????

I know with vanilla infused sugar, ginger infused vodka, cinnamon infused simple syrup, and other infused home made products the process can be as simple as placing raw ginger, cinnamon, or vanilla beans into the sugar, vodka, water, etc. I wonder if boiling water and ginger to infuse the water with ginger and then blending salt into the water would create a ginger infused salt.

I'm a "try it and see type" so that's how I would do it.

ok, i have a little color to my salt, but not as much as the store bought stuff, and i cannot really detect any ginger flavor. Going to try again with less salt and more ginger, also I'm going to peel my next batch of ginger, i did not because i was going to pull it out anyway, but I have a lot of little ginger bits in my salt, and I think that could be a good thing.

I think that we're on a roller coaster ride here....IMHO....just use some real ginger root bought at the grocery store and slice it up and boil it for about 5 minutes, strain the ginger out and mix with sugar and or salt.......a heck of a lot cheaper.....do your own taste-testing............

Ok I just made candied Ginger, it was delicious! now i have a bag of ginger infused sat that costs 18.99/lb in bulk..

I'm also confused - what does a bag of ginger infused sat mean? (see above - your original post)

I guess you could boil the ginger in a salt solution - remove the
ginger and evaporate all the water from the solution leaving a gingery
flavored salt - but why go to all that trouble?

Try to do it and let us know how it came out.

Why go to all that trouble?
Why.. because we can, of course!

LOL! I am the type who would/does spend time happily experimenting with
things like this, just to see if it can be done.

Like my gyro meat... lots of work, not as good as restaurant, but GREAT FUN!
Next on the agenda is to make a vertical cooker for the meat. It will be a waste of
money for something I might use once or once a year... but what fun!
And why? To say I did!

Plow onward OddCooker, and let us know what happened! :)

Back
Top Bottom