Give me something to cook for the weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alx26

Cook
hey guys what would you recommend I cook as a beginner? Recommend me about two dishes to make something classic that pretty much everyone should be able to make or which take the generic ingredients or just not a lot of ingredients....

Will greatly appreciate.

I downloaded a few cookbooks but they just confuse me :huh:

I've made so far

Tuna casserole and a tomatoe and ground beef pasta bake. Both were great.

looking forward to your suggestions and recipes :chef:

Roast Chicken.

Perfect Roast Chicken

A properly roasted chicken is so easy to prepare, and always SO delicious ­ brown, crispy skin and juicy, succulent meat. And it makes the house smell SO good!

makes 4 to 6 servings, depending upon what you serve with it

1 free-range roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
2 whole heads plump fresh garlic, unpeeled, cut in half horizontally
several sprigs of fresh rosemary
several sprigs of fresh thyme
several sprigs of fresh marjoram
several sprigs of fresh lavender greens (if you can find a plant)
1 cup cold water or white wine (to baste the chicken)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Start by rinsing the chicken inside and out with cold running water. Drain it well and dry inside and out with paper towels. Make a mixture of about
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper and 1 tablespoon of coarse sea salt in a small bowl. Place the bowl alongside a shallow 9 x 14-inch roasting pan. Put the olive oil in the pan and distribute evenly. You will also need a 3-foot length of kitchen string.

2. Put the chicken into the pan and turn to coat well with the olive oil.
Season it generously, inside and out with salt and pepper. Put about half of the herbs inside the cavity. Truss with string.

3. Place the chicken on its side in the pan. Put the halved garlic heads (cut side up) and the remainder of the herbs into the pan alongside the chicken. Place the pan on a rack in the center of the oven and roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Baste the chicken with the water and roast for another 25 minutes. Baste again ­ this time with the juices in the pan— turn the chicken to the other side, and repeat the process. This will take a total of 90 minutes roasting time. By this time the skin should be a deep golden color. Test to see if the juices run clear when you pierce a thigh with the point of a knife.

4. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the chicken to a platter on which you have placed an overturned salad plate. Place the chicken at an angle against the edge of the plate with its tail in the air. (This retains moisture because the juices flow down through the breast meat.) Cover the chicken loosely with foil. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes. The chicken will continue to cook as it rests. Reserve the roasted garlic to serve with the chicken.

5. To prepare a sauce, remove the herbs from the pan and skim as much fat as possible from the pan juices. Place the roasting pan over medium heat and scrape up any brown bits that cling to the bottom. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping and stirring until the liquid is almost caramelized. Do not let it burn. Spoon off and discard any excess fat. Add several tablespoons cold water to deglaze (hot water would cloud the sauce), and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.

6. While the sauce is cooking, carve the chicken and arrange it on a warmed serving platter along with the garlic.

7. Strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve and pour into a sauceboat. Serve immediately with the chicken and the halved heads of garlic.

Dont know your geography but if you are anywhere wintery it is a good time for anything braised... or slow cooking...

How about a whole chicken and mashed potatoes... nice classic comfort food and very simple ingredient list I find this to be one of the most satisfying things to make... cheap too!

I have been on the slow and low recipes right now My project this week was the Italian pork stew posted on a thread here... this weekend I am going to make a go at improving my Lazyman Ragu Neopolitano to a place where I am staisfied... I have done some research and think I have it down...

edit... CJ... we were thinking the same thing....

An easy one that doesn’t require a lot of ingredients would be Salmon Croquettes – Also known as Salmon Patties.

Take a can of Salmon and drain the liquid off. Put the Salmon in a bowl. In another bowl beat an egg – Like for scrambled eggs – Stir it in the Salmon – Next add about 2 or 3 tablespoons of finely minced onion, a little garlic powder, Salt, and black pepper etc. to taste Lastly, add in some flour, bread crumbs or my favorite finely crushed Saltine crackers or a combination of all three – Add just enough of this “binder” so you can form small patties without them falling apart --- Form the patties, and fry in just a little oil until brown --- turn and brown the other side. Remove and drain on paper towels….

Serve with Ketchup, Cabbage Slaw, and French fries….

If you use crackers as one of the binders, remember they have salt on them...so easy on the added salt. Also if you need to “stretch” the Salmon – add a can of drained Tuna!

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Stuffed chicken breasts?

may also try, but I would need a carb dish to go with it (rice, pasta, potatoes) and it has to be something special :)

How about a baked potato topped with real bacon bits, butter and cheddar cheese?

May try it.... But I am guessing it will require some special spices :P

Nope. Chicken breast, flour, mushrooms, chicken stock, marsala wine (can be purchased at any liquor stor and is cheap)

There's a bazillion recipes, all you need is a side. Maybe some sauteed asparagus or rosemary roasted new potatoes.
It's a fairly easy recipe and very tasty.

Nope. Chicken breast, flour, mushrooms, chicken stock, marsala wine (can be purchased at any liquor stor and is cheap)

There's a bazillion recipes, all you need is a side. Maybe some sauteed asparagus or rosemary roasted new potatoes.
It's a fairly easy recipe and very tasty.
Well then I'll definetly have to try it too :D

Roast Chicken.

Perfect Roast Chicken

A properly roasted chicken is so easy to prepare, and always SO delicious * brown, crispy skin and juicy, succulent meat. And it makes the house smell SO good!

makes 4 to 6 servings, depending upon what you serve with it

1 free-range roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
2 whole heads plump fresh garlic, unpeeled, cut in half horizontally
several sprigs of fresh lavender greens (if you can find a plant)
1 cup cold water or white wine (to baste the chicken)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Start by rinsing the chicken inside and out with cold running water. Drain it well and dry inside and out with paper towels. Make a mixture of about
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper and 1 tablespoon of coarse sea salt in a small bowl. Place the bowl alongside a shallow 9 x 14-inch roasting pan. Put the olive oil in the pan and distribute evenly. You will also need a 3-foot length of kitchen string.

2. Put the chicken into the pan and turn to coat well with the olive oil.
Season it generously, inside and out with salt and pepper. Put about half of the herbs inside the cavity. Truss with string.

3. Place the chicken on its side in the pan. Put the halved garlic heads (cut side up) and the remainder of the herbs into the pan alongside the chicken. Place the pan on a rack in the center of the oven and roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Baste the chicken with the water and roast for another 25 minutes. Baste again * this time with the juices in the pan— turn the chicken to the other side, and repeat the process. This will take a total of 90 minutes roasting time. By this time the skin should be a deep golden color. Test to see if the juices run clear when you pierce a thigh with the point of a knife.

4. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the chicken to a platter on which you have placed an overturned salad plate. Place the chicken at an angle against the edge of the plate with its tail in the air. (This retains moisture because the juices flow down through the breast meat.) Cover the chicken loosely with foil. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes. The chicken will continue to cook as it rests. Reserve the roasted garlic to serve with the chicken.

5. To prepare a sauce, remove the herbs from the pan and skim as much fat as possible from the pan juices. Place the roasting pan over medium heat and scrape up any brown bits that cling to the bottom. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping and stirring until the liquid is almost caramelized. Do not let it burn. Spoon off and discard any excess fat. Add several tablespoons cold water to deglaze (hot water would cloud the sauce), and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.

6. While the sauce is cooking, carve the chicken and arrange it on a warmed serving platter along with the garlic.

7. Strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve and pour into a sauceboat. Serve immediately with the chicken and the halved heads of garlic.

hmmmm, how would this compare to the roast chickens you get from the supermarkets? We often buy roast chickens so I am wondering if it'll be worth it... :-p

If I make it I also want a recipe to go with it, like a special way of making the mash potatoes or even better a good way of making the vegetables.... to go with it

An easy one that doesn’t require a lot of ingredients would be Salmon Croquettes – Also known as Salmon Patties.

Take a can of Salmon and drain the liquid off. Put the Salmon in a bowl. In another bowl beat an egg – Like for scrambled eggs – Stir it in the Salmon – Next add about 2 or 3 tablespoons of finely minced onion, a little garlic powder, Salt, and black pepper etc. to taste Lastly, add in some flour, bread crumbs or my favorite finely crushed Saltine crackers or a combination of all three – Add just enough of this “binder” so you can form small patties without them falling apart --- Form the patties, and fry in just a little oil until brown --- turn and brown the other side. Remove and drain on paper towels….

Serve with Ketchup, Cabbage Slaw, and French fries….

If you use crackers as one of the binders, remember they have salt on them...so easy on the added salt. Also if you need to “stretch” the Salmon – add a can of drained Tuna!

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Definetly gonna make that, sounds simple....

I Think I'll go with this recipe too...

How To Make Butter Chicken Recipe (Food & Drink: Indian Cuisine)

Thanks for all the input definetly keep it coming, I'll get to make the stuff if not this week then the next....

hmmmm, how would this compare to the roast chickens you get from the supermarkets? We often buy roast chickens so I am wondering if it'll be worth it... :-p
Excuse me? :huh: Try making the Perfect Roast Chicken and purchase a supermarket rotisserie chicken too. Try them side by side.

If the roast chicken isn't better, then it's either YOUR cooking, or the quality of the chicken. :rolleyes:

I will second CJ for a long time I was intimidated by the whole chicken.. actually by anything but pre-cut chicken strips at first.... Once I made one I was totally converted. I am always trying new ways..stuffing, poaching different seasonings etc. It will taste more fresh and probably be more healthful han the market chicken... you will save a buck or two as well

hehe thats settled then

Whole chicken sunday dinner.

Salmon patties.

chicken thigh stew

butter chicken and chicken masala

BOOM got myself a fun weekend. :chef: THANKS A LOT GUYS!

EDIT:

I don't think my supermarket will sell these herbs fresh. where is a good place to get them, in the UK? How will fresh compare to dry herbs?

several sprigs of fresh lavender greens

Perhaps for another time, I second Jeekins' suggestion of Chicken Marsala.

It's WAY easy but the flavor is somewhat rich and sophisticated, as if you put a lot more work into it than you did.

(I serve mine with egg noodles, Jeeks and maybe a side of steamed broccoli flowerets).

Lee

The roasted chicken was.....

Perfect, as the name suggests. Absolutely perfect

The salmon patties were also quite good.

:LOL::LOL: :chef::chef:

not got to anything else yet

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom