"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by navywife View Post

You have your own cow (s) ?

H8 U!!! (j/k)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
here you go. possibly going to korea for vacation and will be more of a culinary journey for myself. here's a list of things. local farm raised whole black goat. burdock root. lotus leaves. black bean paste. shrimp paste. fish sauce. kimchi. powdered milk. korean moonshine. thats what my buddy says his grandma will have for me in the kitchen. also going to salisbury in uk and gonna try working with mutton. would you recommend braising it with prunes and dates?

kinhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Hahaha, you don;t give me much to work with... ready???
way don't u drink some off the moonshine first,
then i suggest you cut the goat meat in pieces (let's hope the goat is not to old)
fry some onion, garlic, then add the goat meat and brown it together., I hope you did not drink all the moonshine because you need some to deglace this browned meat.
add some vegetable stock and cook till the meat is almost tender. Then add diced carrots and diced potato's (if you have) and a lotus leave and let this simmer some more..till all is cooked.
use kimchi as a side dish...

we keep the black bean paste, shrimp paste, fish sauce,burdock root and powdered milk for the next time....
(I have to admit i needed to Google the burdock root!!!)
bert bakering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
too Kinhong,
Indian style Mutton recipie, aprox 1 kg meat

I try and keep it simple.

fry 4 large chopped onion and 6 cloves of chopped garlic till it's brown,
add 4 pc cardamom and 1 tbs turmeric powder, fry more.
Then add the diced mutton
fry this till brown, add 1/2 liter coconut milk and 1/2 liter water.
add 2 ea chopped green chilly's and 2 ea bay leaves..
simmer this for about 2-3 hours and reduce till nice concistency.
garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice and naan bread..
bert bakering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Master Chef
Can't give you any information about mutton as I'm not familiar with it (haven't had the opportunity to try it). But goat is very similar to venison from White-tailed deer. It si great when cooked medium rare and goes well with onion, and savory spices such as pepper, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary, saffron, etc. Salt is essential, but not too much. Let the natural flavor shine through. Vinegar will remove or mask some of the gaminess if you don't like that flavor. Also, the flavor of the meat will depend in large part on what the goat has eaten. If it has eaten a lot of corn, then the flavor will be similar to beef. If a lot of wild plants are it's normal diet, then be prepared for a very strong flavored meat.

A good idea is to cut a small piece of meat and quickly fry it with just a bit of salt and pepper. Taste it and it will give you an idea of what you will be working with, flavorwise.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a great culinary adventure.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

challenge, cook