"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Cook

Thumbs up Give me the ingredients

Hi, I like to give myself a challenge, if you don't know what to cook, tell me what you got in your dry store and fridge.
I do assume you have salt and pepper...
a working oven and something to cook water.

I may add, the longer the list, the essayer it get's ...(let's not hope i regret this)

Old 08-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Executive Chef

here you go...

I've got thawing a pound of locally produced 4 inch square pork sausage patties and I want to make something with fresh potatoes....also have onions, garlic, celery, green peppers, fresh corn, parsley....probably want to make a casserole, not sure what all to put in it...thinking of browning meat first, adding a white sauce???

what would you do?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Cook

suggestion,
turn on your oven aprox 350-380
cut potatoes in wedges and season them,
cut your onion, peppers, garlic, celery in pieces and season them
put both on separate tray's and bake in the oven till done

(can you grill the corn??)

during the baking of the potatoes and vegetables brown your patties and chop the parsley

once the potato and vegetables are done, add the chopped parsley, dress on a plate, add the patties and enjoy.

Roasted potatoes with roasted vegetables and patties...

you can make a white sauce, but you need milk or cream for that, you fry some onion, garlic in a little butter, then add some flower and milk/cream, then you boil it slowly till it thickens and add some (chopped) parsley.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I like your first suggestion..

yes I have milk, I have my own personal dairy

this is the way I approach cooking...first I assess what foods I have that need to be eaten, then I try to figure out how to put them together...last night I was working on this very project...these odd sausage patties and potatoes......thanks for you input!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Master Chef

We ahd a contest a year or so ago called Golden Chef, where I challenged anyone brave enough to try, to do an IronChef style cookoff where they had to use a theme ingredient and create 5 dishes, give the recipes, and provide pictures of the completed dishes. The ingredient picked was oatmeal. I wish you had been around here then as I had several people say, I'll compete. I made my 5 dishes and put everything up as per the contest rules. No one else showed up to challenge. If you are curious, look up the Golden Chef thread in the search field. I would be willing to try this again sometime, if someone else participated.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Cook

HI,

Was trying to help some people whom could not come up with what to do with what they got.

I will have a look at that Thread though. although on the moment to do a cook off or competition, is to time consuming for me

thanks ,
Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Great thread Bert! It should be called the Black Box
Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I like your first suggestion..

yes I have milk, I have my own personal dairy

this is the way I approach cooking...first I assess what foods I have that need to be eaten, then I try to figure out how to put them together...last night I was working on this very project...these odd sausage patties and potatoes......thanks for you input!
You have your own cow (s) ?

H8 U!!! (j/k)

That dish sounds lovely, even for a non-meat type like me!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert bakering View Post
HI,

Was trying to help some people whom could not come up with what to do with what they got.

I will have a look at that Thread though. although on the moment to do a cook off or competition, is to time consuming for me

thanks ,
Don't get me wrong, Bert. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, and indeed, I applaud what you are trying to do here. I just saw the phrase; "challenge myself" and thought, hmmmmm.

Keep doing what you are doing. We love having helpful people on DC.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Cook

no problem, i wait for more ingredients...

Tags
challenge, cook