Give me the ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I like to give myself a challenge, if you don't know what to cook, tell me what you got in your dry store and fridge.
I do assume you have salt and pepper...
a working oven and something to cook water.

I may add, the longer the list, the essayer it get's ...(let's not hope i regret this)

Last edited:
here you go...

I've got thawing a pound of locally produced 4 inch square pork sausage patties and I want to make something with fresh potatoes....also have onions, garlic, celery, green peppers, fresh corn, parsley....probably want to make a casserole, not sure what all to put in it...thinking of browning meat first, adding a white sauce???

what would you do?

suggestion,
turn on your oven aprox 350-380
cut potatoes in wedges and season them,
cut your onion, peppers, garlic, celery in pieces and season them
put both on separate tray's and bake in the oven till done

(can you grill the corn??)

during the baking of the potatoes and vegetables brown your patties and chop the parsley

once the potato and vegetables are done, add the chopped parsley, dress on a plate, add the patties and enjoy.

Roasted potatoes with roasted vegetables and patties...

you can make a white sauce, but you need milk or cream for that, you fry some onion, garlic in a little butter, then add some flower and milk/cream, then you boil it slowly till it thickens and add some (chopped) parsley.

I like your first suggestion..

yes I have milk:D, I have my own personal dairy

this is the way I approach cooking...first I assess what foods I have that need to be eaten, then I try to figure out how to put them together...last night I was working on this very project...these odd sausage patties and potatoes......thanks for you input!

We ahd a contest a year or so ago called Golden Chef, where I challenged anyone brave enough to try, to do an IronChef style cookoff where they had to use a theme ingredient and create 5 dishes, give the recipes, and provide pictures of the completed dishes. The ingredient picked was oatmeal. I wish you had been around here then as I had several people say, I'll compete. I made my 5 dishes and put everything up as per the contest rules. No one else showed up to challenge. If you are curious, look up the Golden Chef thread in the search field. I would be willing to try this again sometime, if someone else participated.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

HI,

Was trying to help some people whom could not come up with what to do with what they got.

I will have a look at that Thread though. although on the moment to do a cook off or competition, is to time consuming for me

thanks ,

I like your first suggestion..

yes I have milk:D, I have my own personal dairy

this is the way I approach cooking...first I assess what foods I have that need to be eaten, then I try to figure out how to put them together...last night I was working on this very project...these odd sausage patties and potatoes......thanks for you input!
You have your own cow (s) ?

H8 U!!! :LOL: (j/k)

That dish sounds lovely, even for a non-meat type like me!

HI,

Was trying to help some people whom could not come up with what to do with what they got.

I will have a look at that Thread though. although on the moment to do a cook off or competition, is to time consuming for me

thanks ,

Don't get me wrong, Bert. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, and indeed, I applaud what you are trying to do here. I just saw the phrase; "challenge myself" and thought, hmmmmm.;)

Keep doing what you are doing. We love having helpful people on DC.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

here you go. possibly going to korea for vacation and will be more of a culinary journey for myself. here's a list of things. local farm raised whole black goat. burdock root. lotus leaves. black bean paste. shrimp paste. fish sauce. kimchi. powdered milk. korean moonshine. thats what my buddy says his grandma will have for me in the kitchen. also going to salisbury in uk and gonna try working with mutton. would you recommend braising it with prunes and dates?

TO KINHONG,
Hahaha, you don;t give me much to work with... ready???
way don't u drink some off the moonshine first,
then i suggest you cut the goat meat in pieces (let's hope the goat is not to old)
fry some onion, garlic, then add the goat meat and brown it together., I hope you did not drink all the moonshine because you need some to deglace this browned meat.
add some vegetable stock and cook till the meat is almost tender. Then add diced carrots and diced potato's (if you have) and a lotus leave and let this simmer some more..till all is cooked.
use kimchi as a side dish...

we keep the black bean paste, shrimp paste, fish sauce,burdock root and powdered milk for the next time....
(I have to admit i needed to Google the burdock root!!!)

too Kinhong,
Indian style Mutton recipie, aprox 1 kg meat

I try and keep it simple.

fry 4 large chopped onion and 6 cloves of chopped garlic till it's brown,
add 4 pc cardamom and 1 tbs turmeric powder, fry more.
Then add the diced mutton
fry this till brown, add 1/2 liter coconut milk and 1/2 liter water.
add 2 ea chopped green chilly's and 2 ea bay leaves..
simmer this for about 2-3 hours and reduce till nice concistency.
garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice and naan bread..

Can't give you any information about mutton as I'm not familiar with it (haven't had the opportunity to try it). But goat is very similar to venison from White-tailed deer. It si great when cooked medium rare and goes well with onion, and savory spices such as pepper, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary, saffron, etc. Salt is essential, but not too much. Let the natural flavor shine through. Vinegar will remove or mask some of the gaminess if you don't like that flavor. Also, the flavor of the meat will depend in large part on what the goat has eaten. If it has eaten a lot of corn, then the flavor will be similar to beef. If a lot of wild plants are it's normal diet, then be prepared for a very strong flavored meat.

A good idea is to cut a small piece of meat and quickly fry it with just a bit of salt and pepper. Taste it and it will give you an idea of what you will be working with, flavorwise.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a great culinary adventure.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

Back
Top Bottom