"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Master Chef

Thank you June and Calli!

June, I'll try to do that. Thanks for the tip!

I didn't know that, Calli. That could very well have been the case. Oh well, a great pizza came out of it!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Master Chef

Munky...thanks for the compliment.... it would have been good.. and next time, I'll invite ya over!

Down, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's punch bowl. That is strange, almost eerie!... Twilight Zone theme is playing.

Nat, ughhh.. egg? what a mess that must have been!. I know it feels to be left with egg on your face!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Glad to help, VB. I agree with calling Pyrex and telling them what happened. They may very well send you a coupon or even a replacement. I know a particular craft company that if you get one of their cartridges and it's defective, they send you a new cartridge and these things run $25 a pop. Never underestimate the power of politely calling a company and saying "uh, I don't know how this happened."
Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I've loved my Pyrex ovenware since I first started using them. Easy to clean, can go into the microwave for warm-up, etc.

I did read somewhere (maybe even on the Pyrex web site), that even the slightest imperfection (like a very small chip) can cause a catastrophic failure. I am glad I read that as I inspect my Pyrex stuff closely before use every time.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #15
Head Chef

If it is any comfort, you are apparently not alone. Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong...Consumer complaints about Pyrex Cookware
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 AM   #16
Master Chef

I had a 13" x 9" Pyrex dish shatter on me years ago. I thought it was cool enough so I poured hot tap water in it to let it soak for a little while. I had glass everywhere, it was even embedded in my shins and of course I was barefoot in the kitchen. All I could do was yell for my husband to get the broom so I could move and not step in the glass.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
actually, if you write to Pyrex, I bet they will either send you a new pie plate or a coupon for a new one.... Give it a shot.
I second ChefJune on this suggestion............too bad that you don't have a receipt more than likely
Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
Head Chef

The problem with Pyrex cookware seems to be a little more widespread than most of us believe, and it's apparently not just limited to misuse (i.e., adding cold water to a hot dish) or micoline fractures. Check this out, from ConsumerAffairs.com: CLICK ME

I have a lot of it, some of which is quite old. Not sure what to do with it as there are some pretty scary stories about injuries caused by exploding Pyrex dishes. Check the other links on the page I've referred to above.