"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Master Chef

Unhappy Glass plate shattered in oven -- My first kitchen disaster

I was going to make a nice dinner of a breakfast quiche, but it didn't work out. I'll try to make this short.

For this quiche, I used a regular pizza dough recipe for a 12-inch pizza (which I have done before). I decided to use a new Pyrex pie plate received as one of my Christmas gifts... never used before.

The ingredients were 1 cup cubed, cooked chicken breast, sour cream, diced potato, 2 slices of bacon, sliced bell pepper and onion, cr of chicken soup and 2 slices of American cheese. I placed the prepared quiche on a pizza pan, in case of messy drips.

Anyway, 30 minutes into cooking, I was in the process of sliding out the pan, and the glass plate shattered beneath the crust. It would have been such a great dinner.

I'm puzzled, because I have made similiar recipes before, but in my old glass Pyrex plate... never a problem.

Any ideas on why the dish broke, when I barely moved it? The plate wasn't cold, neither were the ingredients.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Sorry VB, I've only heard of them shattering in few instances, and I'm sure you know what they are. All I can think of is a flaw in the plate?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sorry to hear of your mishap. However, there is a thing (can't remember the correct term) but it's sort of like a thermal shock that Pyrex and other similar types of glass can experience. Can be something as simple as a draft that hits the glass. I've had it happen to me. And, yep, my dinner was sooo ruined.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thank you both so much. That's all I can think of...maybe a hair-line crack that was hard to notice... who knows.

Guess what's in the oven now, pizza! So, it's not all at a loss... **knock on wood**.

I made two dough balls last night, and I'm glad that one was thawed. There is a reason for everything, I guess.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Cook

That is very odd, and I am sure extremely disgusting !! It would be interesting to know for sure what happened.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
Honey Badger

Luckily you didn't get get hurt.Pyrex gets hot.

I've actually had one shatter,I just had enough time to get my son well away before it sprayed.It went everywhere.I was baking a chicken,added cold water to the pan.That wasn't one of my better moments.

I Went out and bought metal roasting pans the next day.And oven cleaner.

Your pyrex was probably dropped somewhere,sometime during shipping.It happens.

Your dinner sounded really good though :)

Need a taste tester next time? Call me! :)

Munky.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Cook

Along the line of the Thermal Shock Theory .... I had friends who had an heirloom punchbowl, a very large and fine old cut-glass one. It always sat in the middle of the Sideboard. Like me, they live in an old house with window air-conditioners. They returned home from town one summer day and turned on the units in the different rooms. About 6-7 minutes later a very loud and melodious PING !!!! was heard all over the house, but at first no one seemed to know where it came from. A short while later they went into the dining room and saw the punch bowl in two perfect halves. It was in a direct line with the air-conditioner. It had been there for decades and no doubt that same thing played out many, many times, except that on that particular day it apparently was too much "Thermal Shock" for the ancient heirloom.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I think I can make you feel better. About 10 yrs ago I boiled eggs in microwave...I know...NOW!

When I went to peel the first one it exploded in my face. Talk about egg on your face and all over the kitchen. I found reminants for awhile!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
actually, if you write to Pyrex, I bet they will either send you a new pie plate or a coupon for a new one.... Give it a shot.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Did you have the Pyrex directly on the pizza pan? That will cause the Pyrex to take on additional heat. Too much uneven heat will cause NEW Pyrex to shatter (it's not as tough as it used to be like so many other things in this world). I would suggest that next time you put the pizza pan on the rack below the pie pan. It will catch the drips but not cause uneven heat distribution on the Pyrex.