"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Gnocchi

About to try and make gnocchi for the first time. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or anything regarding said dish. I have heard/read different ways to prepare the potatoes, boiling vs baking. I went with baking. I've only had gnocchi a few times, and, at first, I was suprised by the texture; I expected it to be a little more firm. I plan to boil them, then pan fry them real quick to try and get a bit more firmness on them. Also going to stuff them with a ricotta/mozarella/basil mixture. Anyways, any tips for before I begin this culinary endeavor would be awesome.
Thanks

Old 09-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You're going to stuff them? I have never made them but I am having trouble with the "stuffing" concept. How will you do that?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

When I went to SF this summer, we went and ate at some restaurant in north beach that did it. I googled it to see how they did this, you know since they're such small objects. Anyways, the literature I found said that you could do it two ways. One way was that when you make it into the roll/snake, make a little indentation the length of the roll with your finger, put some of the stuffing mixture inside, then fold it over making sure it is sealed all around by the potato mixture. Another way said to make little balls, flatten them, put a dollop of the mixture on there, then roll it back into gnocchi form. I have no clue if this will work, but that's what I've read, so I'm going to try it and see what happens.

and I really love ricotta.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

My thoughts are the same as Kitchenelf's. I have never heard of stuffing them. I can't even begin to think how you would do that.

You might just want to serve the ricotta/mozarella/basil mixture over top instead.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Let us know what you do and how it turns out. I have seen many a gnocchi go down the drain by friends who wanted to try to make it - if yours works I want you to give me detailed instructions. I love it! I just don't want to make it! So any hints will be appreciated. I, personally, cannot imagine doing the stuffing but everything is worth a try at least once. What's the worst that will happen? The stuffing will leak out and you'll have a sauce instead.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Good luck with it lsutiger. I am curious to hear how you made out.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Appreciate the quick responses and encouragement. I will most certainly let yall know how it works out.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Potato gnocchi are very simple to make, you just need to have a light hand when mixing the potato and flour, and make certain you work with HOT potatos. Ouchies!!
I put my potato's thru' a ricer, and I dont use egg.
I am interested to hear how you get on stuffing them also. Sounds like a very fiddly job but hey... they could be a real winner.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #9
Executive Chef

There are some good tips (re the flour, using a ricer, and filling ideas) here:

http://www.starchefs.com/events/stud...th/index.shtml

You mentioned you prefer a ricotta stuffing. This ricotta, mozzarella, basil and walnut filling, looks delish:

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/6366

If you would like a recipe using the stuffed gnocchi in a gratin, check this one out: (It might be a little rich, if you're stuffing them.)

Mushroom Gnocchi Gratin

Edited to add: the fois gras, pears etc., are fillings I hadn't thought of, but sure you could come up with dozens. Good luck. Keep us 'posted' on the stuffed gnocchi.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Everymom

I'm a little late getting in here, but I just wanted to add that I have never had any trouble using leftover potatoes to make the dough. Just mashed 'em up and added flour til I got the consistency I wanted. My kids quite enjoy helping me roll dough "snakes" and cutting the gnocchi etc.

I've never tried to stuff them (they're fiddly enough for me without that!), but my tip would be to keep a glass of water on hand and dampen the edges of the gnocchi to get a good seal around the stuffing. Good luck and keep us posted!