"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 147
Gonna Slow Cook Something Tomorrow - What Should It Be?

I've done pot roast and ribs so far. Looking for suggestions for my 3rd slowcooker experience!

__________________

__________________
sherifffruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Chicken? I do a lot of chicken in the crock pot.
__________________

__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Chicken? I do a lot of chicken in the crock pot.
Oooh - chicken of some sort - excellent idea!

Now... what *kind*???
__________________
sherifffruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
I have over a dozen recipes, which one would you like? They are all easy.

Crock Pot Chicken Parm
Italian Chicken
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
White Cheese Sauce Chicken

Those are what I have at the top of my head.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
mcnerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,326
In my crockpot I'm doing Red Cabbage and Onions.

Some other ideas:
Cornish Game Hen with Potatoes
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Crockpot Beans
__________________
Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I have over a dozen recipes, which one would you like? They are all easy.

Crock Pot Chicken Parm
Italian Chicken
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
White Cheese Sauce Chicken

Those are what I have at the top of my head.
mmmm.... Chick parm, please!
__________________
sherifffruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
4 Frozen Chicken Breasts
1 Jar of your preferred Spaghetti Sauce (used as a base unless you have some of your own spaghetti sauce already available)
I can tomato paste
1 palmful oregano approx 1 tablespoon
1 palmful dried basil (use dried because you are slow cooking)
1 onion finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup grated Parmesan

Mix together. Cook on low for 8 hours or high about 5. When chicken becomes fork tender, pour another good helping of Parm on top and let it melt. Serve on top of angel hair pasta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do a lot of it by taste. I would suggest your first time you mix the sauce before pouring over frozen chicken (you can do defrosted for less time, I usually start this before work) and make it to your taste.

If you have some homemade spaghetti sauce already made up, use that instead of the jar and don't worry about the spices. I always have some frozen now a days so I use it but I started using Prego or even Ragu because I always dressed it up.

I can adapt what you have to make it work. I've done this dish for over 12 years and it was my first chicken crock pot meal ever.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Half Moon Bay CA
Posts: 185
Posole is on the menu for us--great slow cooker food and sooooo good with all of those crispy, crunchy, yummy fresh toppings.
__________________
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
4 Frozen Chicken Breasts
1 Jar of your preferred Spaghetti Sauce (used as a base unless you have some of your own spaghetti sauce already available)
I can tomato paste
1 palmful oregano approx 1 tablespoon
1 palmful dried basil (use dried because you are slow cooking)
1 onion finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup grated Parmesan

Mix together. Cook on low for 8 hours or high about 5. When chicken becomes fork tender, pour another good helping of Parm on top and let it melt. Serve on top of angel hair pasta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do a lot of it by taste. I would suggest your first time you mix the sauce before pouring over frozen chicken (you can do defrosted for less time, I usually start this before work) and make it to your taste.

If you have some homemade spaghetti sauce already made up, use that instead of the jar and don't worry about the spices. I always have some frozen now a days so I use it but I started using Prego or even Ragu because I always dressed it up.

I can adapt what you have to make it work. I've done this dish for over 12 years and it was my first chicken crock pot meal ever.
I'm headin to the market tomorrow - so I'll pick up all I need there.

Thanks!
__________________
sherifffruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMGgal View Post
Posole is on the menu for us--great slow cooker food and sooooo good with all of those crispy, crunchy, yummy fresh toppings.
Interesting - sounds good! It's on the list!
__________________

__________________
sherifffruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.