Gonna Slow Cook Something Tomorrow - What Should It Be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have over a dozen recipes, which one would you like? They are all easy.

Crock Pot Chicken Parm
Italian Chicken
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
White Cheese Sauce Chicken

Those are what I have at the top of my head.

In my crockpot I'm doing Red Cabbage and Onions.

Some other ideas:
Cornish Game Hen with Potatoes
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Crockpot Beans

4 Frozen Chicken Breasts
1 Jar of your preferred Spaghetti Sauce (used as a base unless you have some of your own spaghetti sauce already available)
I can tomato paste
1 palmful oregano approx 1 tablespoon
1 palmful dried basil (use dried because you are slow cooking)
1 onion finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup grated Parmesan

Mix together. Cook on low for 8 hours or high about 5. When chicken becomes fork tender, pour another good helping of Parm on top and let it melt. Serve on top of angel hair pasta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do a lot of it by taste. I would suggest your first time you mix the sauce before pouring over frozen chicken (you can do defrosted for less time, I usually start this before work) and make it to your taste.

If you have some homemade spaghetti sauce already made up, use that instead of the jar and don't worry about the spices. I always have some frozen now a days so I use it but I started using Prego or even Ragu because I always dressed it up.

I can adapt what you have to make it work. I've done this dish for over 12 years and it was my first chicken crock pot meal ever.

Posole is on the menu for us--great slow cooker food and sooooo good with all of those crispy, crunchy, yummy fresh toppings.

4 Frozen Chicken Breasts
1 Jar of your preferred Spaghetti Sauce (used as a base unless you have some of your own spaghetti sauce already available)
I can tomato paste
1 palmful oregano approx 1 tablespoon
1 palmful dried basil (use dried because you are slow cooking)
1 onion finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup grated Parmesan

Mix together. Cook on low for 8 hours or high about 5. When chicken becomes fork tender, pour another good helping of Parm on top and let it melt. Serve on top of angel hair pasta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do a lot of it by taste. I would suggest your first time you mix the sauce before pouring over frozen chicken (you can do defrosted for less time, I usually start this before work) and make it to your taste.

If you have some homemade spaghetti sauce already made up, use that instead of the jar and don't worry about the spices. I always have some frozen now a days so I use it but I started using Prego or even Ragu because I always dressed it up.

I can adapt what you have to make it work. I've done this dish for over 12 years and it was my first chicken crock pot meal ever.

I'm headin to the market tomorrow - so I'll pick up all I need there.

Thanks!

I'm headin to the market tomorrow - so I'll pick up all I need there.

Thanks!
If you are going to buy the spaghetti sauce, I recommend just a "plain" sauce unless you like mushrooms, that's what I always use. Don't use the "X cheese" type, or the green pepper and onion one. The less added flavors in the sauce the better. If you've ever bought jarred sauce, you'll know what I mean. I just love mushrooms so I always buy the one with mushrooms.

If you are going to buy fresh chicken breasts, this should only take about 4 hours on high and the chicken will just fall apart.

I forgot, if you can find it, you can add Italian Seasonings too; I haven't been able to find it lately but it adds a bit. If you have Ground Savory, you can add a pinch of that too. It's all about the Italian spices you love in your sauce which I think can vary between different people.

Anyway, good luck. I'm sure I'll be around tomorrow if you have any questions. :)

Callisto, do you use bone-in or boneless chicken in this dish?
Boneless, skinless breasts. You can mix boneless, skinless thighs in too but it gets a little fatty if you use only thighs. I just really prefer the boneless skinless breasts.

You want to be able to lay the the breast on the angel hair pasta and just cut into it and not worry about the bone.

That's funny. Earlier today I thought "tomorrow will be a crock pot day". Haven't had one in a few weeks or at least a good week and a half and figured it was time.

I picked a recipe on a blog I have saved called:

crock pot mole (molay pronounced) recipe.
It calls for 2lbs of meat, but says you can use beef, chicken or pork.

That's funny. Earlier today I thought "tomorrow will be a crock pot day". Haven't had one in a few weeks or at least a good week and a half and figured it was time.

I picked a recipe on a blog I have saved called:

crock pot mole (molay pronounced) recipe.
It calls for 2lbs of meat, but says you can use beef, chicken or pork.

Hard to go wrong when you start with 2lbs of meat! :LOL:

i saw that you said you did ribs before... boil them in water until the meat almost falls off the bone.(about 1 1/2 hours). then smother them with your BBQ and throw 'em on the grill for 4 minutes each side (grill on high). good ribs

I would advise against putting ribs in your slow cooker with just water, they will be extremely bland and no matter how much salt you put on them after they are done, they'll never taste right (and after only an hour and a half they won't be done).

The beauty of slow cooking is that you infuse the flavor into the meat as it cooks. Always season your meat and liquid before cooking it in the slow cooker or you'll have a very bland piece of meat that will require far more work than you want to put into slow cooking. That's the beauty of slow cooking, set it and forget it.

Back
Top Bottom