'Good' cocoa powder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara T

Assistant Cook
I have learned there is good solid chocolate for both eating and cooking. There is also very good chocolate for same purposes. Is cocoa also 'good' and 'very good'?
My pantry contains Ghirardelli solid cooking chocolate and store brand cocoa. Shall I go shopping? I want to make some 'good' biscotti that calls for cocoa. Thank you for all information.

i have been told there is a difference. however i can't afford the "good ones"

stuff i make with store bought always tastes good to me. although i think i have Hersey's in cupboard.

I have learned there is good solid chocolate for both eating and cooking. There is also very good chocolate for same purposes. Is cocoa also 'good' and 'very good'?
My pantry contains Ghirardelli solid cooking chocolate and store brand cocoa. Shall I go shopping? I want to make some 'good' biscotti that calls for cocoa. Thank you for all information.

I'm only picky for those I am eating, for cooking and baking most store brands are fine.

I have had two brands of powdered cocoa from the grocery store and there was a significant difference. Hershey's was far better. It was darker and had a stronger cocoa flavor. I don't remember the name of the inferior brand...out of sight out of mind.

I have had two brands of powdered cocoa from the grocery store and there was a significant difference. Hershey's was far better. It was darker and had a stronger cocoa flavor. I don't remember the name of the inferior brand...out of sight out of mind.

Wonder if it was an old can...as in no one was buying it. I'm currently hooked on only buying what I need for a recipe from the bulk section.

I just bought "Trader Joe's Conacado Organic Fair Trade Cocoa" yesterday but haven't tried it yet. It's strictly for making a Hot Chocolate drink and not for baking. I haven't tried it yet. It's funny because I just made myself a cup of hot chocolate (sipping it right now) and was trying to decide between two brands I have...I chose the other brand and then came here...after the fact. Bummer...i would have chosen the fair trade. I'll report back when I've tried that one.

OK. so this is history and not applicable for today, but the best cocoa powder I ever used was sold by Starbuck's, no less, back in the early 70s. If they still sold it today, I'd buy it.

I've always bought what my mama had......Hershey's Cocoa (natural unsweetened) made since 1894. I use it when I bake, which is seldom, but nothing beats the recipe on the side of the box for the perfect cup of hot cocoa with mini marshmallows on top. Think I'll go make a cup right now!;)

PS...I just read the ingredients on the side of the box....cocoa. That's it. How refreshing.

Last edited:
I have bought Droste ($10 a box) and felt that although good, I didn't see that much difference from Hershey's, actually it was very similar to Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder, and definitely not worth triple the price.

So I stick with tried and true Hershey's. It is kind of a dependable standby. And this is coming from someone who isn't particularly brand loyal.

Back
Top Bottom