"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Head Chef

Pour Over Coffee Maker | Pour Overs | seattlecoffeegear.com

My brother uses this instead of a french press. They work well for a single serve coffee brewer. Uses a filter, and of a press is simply a pour through.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post

My brother uses this instead of a french press. They work well for a single serve coffee brewer. Uses a filter, and of a press is simply a pour through.
Those are nice, I'd like one for work. Thanks for the link!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Good is in the eye of the beholder / sense of smell and taste of the drinker. I found the coffee at Starbucks to be good but kinda pricey. Others seem to not like Starbucks coffee and others think instant coffee tastes just fine.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
Sous Chef

How does the coffee in the chemex compare, flavor wise, to a French press? I like the French press because of the bold flavor. I wouldn't mind less bitterness and acidity, but I don't want to sacrifice flavor
Old 06-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Chemex=smooth, rich, sweet, no mud.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks
Chemex=smooth, rich, sweet, no mud.
If its so wonderful why isn't more popular, and sold in coffee shops and other stores that sell French press's?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
Sous Chef

It takes a bit of time and attention. Nobody (almost) wants to be bothered. We Americans want it NOW, and damn the quality. For those of us who do not demand instant gratification, time invested is time well spent. Even in brewing coffee. I roast my own, in small batches, no more than three day's worth at a time, to ensure freshness, and use a manual pour over, either a Chemex or a Revere Drip-O-Lator, with the proper filter, because I'm worth it. I have the time because I have made the time.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post

Those Hario ceramics are nice...far nicer than the plastic ones from Melitta, I think. The big difference between a pour over and a French press is that with a pour over, once the water goes through the grounds, the contact is finished, and the grounds don't leach acids and bitter oils into your coffee. Not so with a French press, where the grounds are held captive in the bottom of a pot full of hot coffee.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
If its so wonderful why isn't more popular, and sold in coffee shops and other stores that sell French press's?
These coffee makers are available for retail purchase at Williams Sonoma but for reasons that pass understanding they don't stock the filters at the store.

I've seen the mass-produced machine made models online for only the last couple of years. The handmade blown glass models are still fairly rare and costly.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
These coffee makers are available for retail purchase at Williams Sonoma but reasons that pass understanding they don't stock the filters at the store.

I've seen the mass-produced machine made models online for only the last couple of years. The handmade blown glass models are still fairly rare and costly.

Hmmm...I have the 13 cup model, which is hand-blown. They are pricey, retail, but mine came to me second-hand, from a thrift store, for...considerably less. For good prices on Chemex pots, I would check out Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's . I generally buy my green coffee from them, too. They.know.coffee. I also have a couple of extra 8 cup Revere Drip-O-Lators, which use generic 4 cup filters and take less attention than Chemex, just dump the water once and wait about 4-5 minutes, no hovering for a second pour. Same source, thrift stores. Sorry about the pictures, but they aren't mine, I just grabbed them off Craigs List. Guy wants $10 for it, a good deal, but I have three of them already.