Good coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm...I have the 13 cup model, which is hand-blown. They are pricey, retail, but mine came to me second-hand, from a thrift store, for...considerably less. For good prices on Chemex pots, I would check out Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's . I generally buy my green coffee from them, too. They.know.coffee.

I source most of my greens from SM too. Excellent to deal with. Great customer service and quality products.

Sweet Marias is a good source for anything coffee.

The thrift store is always a source worth checking for kitchen appliances. I am currently using a Bodum press, bought unused at a thrift store for 4 dollars.

I usually make AD coffee and have used a french press for an occasional single cup and like both results. But my all time favorite is perked coffee made with my old stove-top percolator.

It might be your electric one is perking the coffee too long or there may be some mineral deposits on the bottom that need cleaning out.

Stovetop percolators rock. I learned to make coffee in one when I was a kid, and have used them, on and off, for years. I had a Revere percolator, but a friend admired it and said she would like one if I came across it for a reasonable price. I didn't, but when she moved into a new place, I polished it up and gave it to her, along with some round filters and a half-pound of home roasted coffee. I haven't seen another since, but if I do, and it is reasonable, meaning cheap, I'll buy it. The drip top can be used with the perc bottom, too, and I have a spare drip top, so it would be two pots in one.

I have two Pyrex stovetop coffee pots, use them on the occasion when we are on vacation.

Experimenting with manual drip coffee:

image-440074457.jpg

image-3740100870.jpg

The verdict: I really need to invest in a burr coffee grinder. I liked that there was less acidity, and there was definitely still plenty of flavor, but with the stupid blade grinder it's going to be bitter no matter what method you use. I think I'm going to get a burr grinder first, then consider getting a chemex because I really do like the smoother quality the manual drip had than a French press (and I'm sure it will be much better with a chemex, since the amount of time the water takes to go through would be more ideal. I used two filters stacked on top of each other to try to emulate the thicker chemex filters, but I think it took longer than would be ideal because of that), and it still had a bold rich flavor. I'm convinced :)

Skittle, you could just use the cone part of the coffee maker (the one in the background), pour boiling water thru it into the pot and have lovely coffee instead of using a jar.

I think if I were you and a french press is what you like and are used to, I'd go buy a small one. They are relatively inexpensive and likely worth spending a few bucks on if that is the flavor you prefer. Our dollar store has small ones.

Alix said:
Skittle, you could just use the cone part of the coffee maker (the one in the background), pour boiling water thru it into the pot and have lovely coffee instead of using a jar.

I think if I were you and a french press is what you like and are used to, I'd go buy a small one. They are relatively inexpensive and likely worth spending a few bucks on if that is the flavor you prefer. Our dollar store has small ones.

The reason I used the jar instead of the pot in the background was because I used the carafe that goes with the pot for pouring without spilling. I don't have a tea pot, and all my nice pots that pour nicely are packed up. The reason I'm experimenting is to see if I actually do like the French press flavor better. We have a French press, but my bf had to move to a new city a month sooner than I'm able to (I move there on the 15th), and I don't want to buy another one, so I'm just having fun and experimenting. The jar worked great so don't hate lol. And as I said, I actually really liked how much less acidic it was. Much easier on the stomach. I just placed an order online for a relatively inexpensive burr grinder that seems to be getting pretty good reviews. I had $30 in amazon gift cards to put toward it, so that helped too. I'm so excited!

Back
Top Bottom