"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Where to people in the rural areas by Memphis take their cattle for slaughter? Surely they don't drive them to Hattiesburg. There has to be a place close to you that you don't know of because you're a city boy.

Down here we're all cow/calf and chicken houses. My own county used to be all dairy but that was way back when a man could support a family and send his kids to college milking 40 cows. That time is long past, alas.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #12
Head Chef

I tried to research it a few years ago. There are such places catering to butchering single animals, game and domestic, but none that I could go to and buy stuff from. At least that I could find at the time. Some of the good Mexican grocers have good meat counters, carnicerias. Middle eastern stores have whole carcass goat and lamb. That's the best I've been able to find.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #13
Senior Cook

This place slaughters animals for individuals. I can buy a tongue or a kidney because most folk who take animals in for slaughter don't care about the "nasty bits". I can't go in there and buy a steak or a standing rib roast.

I envy you having a place where you can buy lamb. I can get lamb chops at my supermarket but the price would make you faint. If I want lamb I have to buy the entire slaughtered lamb from my veterinarian's brother who keeps sheep to train his Border Collies for the herding competitions. Then I'd have to take the whole thing to the place where I bought the tongues and kidneys and have them cut it up for me. then I'd have to try to find room for it in my little bitty deep freeze.

See, You're the lucky one, city boy ;)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #14
Head Chef

If you want to find out the closest place to you for good lamb, call the nearest mosque or Islamic center.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #15
Sous Chef

what will you do with the tongues?

I love Lengue, and get them from my father's whole grass fed beef operation, as he finds them hard to sell.

Muy Bien! Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Isn't it great fun when you get new toys to play with in the kitchen?

When I lived in Everett, there is a meat market that was just two doors away from me. Three times a week the huge trailers would pull in from Chicago and unload the whole carcasses of cattle and pigs. Then in front of the Deli counter, there is a huge window and you can see the men in the back room cutting up the carcasses while hanging on a hook. It makes your head spin at how fast they can cut up the whole animal. One time I bought a four rib roast for the holiday. I wanted a strip of beef suet. I watched as they cut it right from the animal, wrapped it and brought it out to me. No charge for it either. I did have to wait a few minutes though while they cut the roast off for me. And bless their hearts, they left the fat cap in place. That roast came out perfect. That was more than ten years ago and my daughter still talks about it. Can't get service like that in a supermarket.

When I lived in South Texas, my neighbor across the street was Mexican. She made her tortillas by hand, slapping them back and forth as if she was clapping. I am still of awe of her skills. When I worked at the little Mexican bar the owner made her tortillas the same way. Her name was Mama Lupe. The nicest person you could ever know. She took me and my baby under her wing. I think of her quite often with great fondness.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Sorry for responding so late. I'm not very chatty until I get home from work.

Skilletlicker, to my astonishment there is an Islamic community in Hattiesburg. There is a Mosque and there are 2 restaurants and a grocery. Unfortunately, the grocery doesn't sell meat. I sure do want to visit the restaurant. Perhaps Saturday. I close my shop at noon Saturdays. I can't wait!

giggler, I'll pickle the tongues for 12 to 14 days and then braise it low and slow in the oven. It's good hot but even better cold in sandwiches with spicy mustard on good rye bread.

If I get the nerve up to make the home made tortillas I'll have tacos de lengua. I need to find a recipe for authentic salsa verde...one with a burn to it that is not available in a can.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Mexican food in the UK will never compare to that of the real thing... Just reading about it here makes me wanna go back there right now

Tags
food