Good Idea I Tried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
My husband likes to have cookies in the house, but I don't like to bake a batch of cookies because it makes too many since I don't eat them. I either have to freeze them or cut the recipe in half. Also, when he wants them, he doesn't want to wait for me to mix the dough and then bake them. I saw an idea online and I tried it this past week.

I mixed up a batch of oatmeal cookies. I baked 2 dozen, then I froze the rest of the dough in little plastic ice cube trays. After it froze (it became firm, but not frozen hard) I popped the dough out of the trays and put them in a freezer bag. Since they were frozen separately, they didn't stick together. I gave a bag of a dozen to my DIL and a couple days later I took out 12 of them and baked them for my husband. In a way, they turned out better than the original cookies because the frozen dough was more firm than the original dough and they produced a little thicker cookie. The original dough spreads out more when baking. My husband, who prefers things cooked fresh and doesn't usually want things that have been frozen, thought the cookies were great! At Christmas, I bake my cookies and freeze them, but for day to day, I will use this frozen dough process. I think this would work for any basic drop cookie, not just oatmeal.

Good idea, Carol. When making fresh cookie dough, chill the dugh and the cookie sheets in the fridge/freezer before baking and the cookies won't spread as much.

That's a good idea, one that I never thought about. I will have to pass that tip on to friends. Some recipies call for refrigerating the dough, and I usually make the dough before I go to bed and refrigerate it, then bake them the next morning. For me, chocolate chip cookies always spread too much. I will start chilling the baking sheet.

Back
Top Bottom