Good introduction to the science/math of baking/cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uoficowboy

Assistant Cook
Hey there - I'm a professional engineer/amateur foodie. I'm very interested in being able to create my own recipes for things - instead of just trying to use other people's. Specifically, I feel like I can choose the right flavors OK - but I never know how to proportion things. For example, I really like how if you're making pancakes you need a half teaspoon of baking soda for every cup of buttermilk to cancel out the acidity of the buttermilk, and that a teaspoon of baking soda gives the equivalent leavening of 4 teaspoons of baking powder. The little mathematical details - getting proportions right and all that - really just makes me happy.

Are there any good books or other resources that cover these sorts of things?

Thanks!

This is exactly what you're looking for: Cookwise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed. It's written by Shirley Corriher, a food scientist who has appeared on "Good Eats" with Alton Brown, and it's all about the science of cooking and baking. Understanding this has made a big difference in my cooking. HTH.

Shirley rocks! GotGarlic is right. This book is probably just what you want.

Harlod McGee's books would probably interest you, too. They are more technical that Cookwise.

This website is a good one, too cooking for engineers

What U of I are you referring to?
I knew of the website, but I haven't seen Harlod's books before. I'll have a look!

I went to the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. (BSEE '07)

It would be an engineer that would be trying to find the mathematical side of cooking. Next, we will have an architect trying to make an 8 layer cake. Just kidding.

This is exactly what you're looking for: Cookwise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed. It's written by Shirley Corriher, a food scientist who has appeared on "Good Eats" with Alton Brown, and it's all about the science of cooking and baking. Understanding this has made a big difference in my cooking. HTH.

Shirley has also just come out with the companion book, "Bakewise." I don't have it yet, but rest assured it will contain as much fabulous information as "Cookwise." :chef:

Not many Illini out here in Bsoton. I went to IU but grew up near the other U of I (Iowa).

Go into a big box bookstore and look at the books that have been recommended. Most (like Barnes and Noble) will carry them all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom