Good recipes for a Mandoline slicer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob3k

Assistant Cook
I recently picked up a Boerner V slicer (basically a mandoline slicer) that can produce really nice uniform slices or julienne strips. The slices are either ultra-thin or about 1/4 inch and the julienne strips are either matchstick or about the size of a McD french fry.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has a few recipe suggestions that could benifit from those cuts?

So far I've made French Onion soup - did a great job with the onions, oven-fried potato chips, and slices of tomato for sandwiches and pizza. Also have had fun coring an apple and creating "apple fries" - raw apple cut using the thick julliene insert - for a snack.

I just used mine last night for English cucumber/white onion salad....does a top notch job for those paper thin slices I like. I often use it on cabbage for cole slaw too. I use it for potatoes for scalloped potatoes..nice uniform slices for even cooking. Enjoy, and welcome to DC.....you'll like it here.

PS....don't take chances without using that guard to hold the food for the last few slices. Lost a whole slice of my little finger complete with nail.
Shudder

Last edited:
Kayelle - SHUDDER... :(

For Christmas we got a couple of Shun knives, and they definitely are lighter and hold a bit different than our Wüsthofs. Hubby knicked himself pretty bad with one of them the other night. I felt so bad for even coming up with the idea to get them in the first place...

I find my mandoline awkward to use. I wonder if it's just a lack of practice or if I have a clumsy one. Anyway, if I could use it properly, I would use it to prepare veggies for stir-fry!

Thanks for the suggestions! I think scalloped potatoes will have to go to the top of the list. :chef: I'm also thinking it would be great for apple slices to use in a pie.

PS....don't take chances without using that guard to hold the food for the last few slices. Lost a whole slice of my little finger complete with nail.
Shudder

Definitely been using the guard so far. I've seen a few chefs on TV cut themselves with one and it does look pretty nasty. Anytime I see somebody use one by just palming the veg it makes me cringe a bit.

I find my mandoline awkward to use. I wonder if it's just a lack of practice or if I have a clumsy one. Anyway, if I could use it properly, I would use it to prepare veggies for stir-fry!

Not sure, but I think the V shaped blade on the one I picked up helps it cut more easily.

I wish I could have fancy kitchen gadgets, but my kitchen is just too small :( I only have 4 cupboards. My bf bought the place before he had a gf who loves to cook. So I revel in having something as simple as a meat tenderizer or a cheese slicer...

I love the mandoline for hash browns and for slicing veggies for a quick pickle. (When I run out of my favorite store bought pickles I slice a cuke on the mandoline and submerge them in the leftover picle juice. Almost like getting a free jar of pickles.) But you can make a brine yourself pretty quickly and they don't have to marinate for very long before they are yummy.

I use my mandoline for slicing things the dehydrator, Sure makes things a lot faster and easier ,Also make cucumber salad with it. Great for slicing beets and onions.

Josie

Potato wrapped fish fillets.

Cut an rectangular piece of your favorite fish and wrap it in a blanket of thinly sliced potato. Fry in butter/oil blend until golden brown and crispy.. This makes a spectacular presentation and only a mandoline can make the slices you need.

Here's a link to show the technique: How to Wrap Fish with Potatoes: Tips : bonappetit.com

Mandoline + Dehydrator

now the slicing for dehydrator is just super. maybe i will keep my dehydrator. thanks. don't know why i didn't think of that.

Babetoo, The biggest thing I learned about the dehydrator is you don't have to fill it up. We bought three giant red pears. tried one of them and it wasn't ripe. I took the mandoline and sliced the other two up and put them in the dehydrator. They took up two shelves.
They came out beautiful and were a lot sweeter.
I could have kicked myself !! Had Dehyrator all these years and didn't use it much because it was so much work to fill it up ( duh)

Josie

Babetoo, The biggest thing I learned about the dehydrator is you don't have to fill it up. We bought three giant red pears. tried one of them and it wasn't ripe. I took the mandoline and sliced the other two up and put them in the dehydrator. They took up two shelves.
They came out beautiful and were a lot sweeter.
I could have kicked myself !! Had Dehyrator all these years and didn't use it much because it was so much work to fill it up ( duh)

Josie

thanks , that is good info. i only used mine once. think i will give it another go. :chef:

Potato wrapped fish fillets.

Cut an rectangular piece of your favorite fish and wrap it in a blanket of thinly sliced potato. Fry in butter/oil blend until golden brown and crispy.. This makes a spectacular presentation and only a mandoline can make the slices you need.

Here's a link to show the technique: How to Wrap Fish with Potatoes: Tips : bonappetit.com

Janet, I just love that idea.......thanks. ;)

Back
Top Bottom