Gorgonzola and Tomato Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I
Do they go together?

They don't for me. IMO the tomato would overpower the Gorgonzola. The Gorgonzola should be the star. :pig:

I do like a thick cream/Mornay sauce with Gorgonzola on Italian bread run under the broiler until it bubbles and begins to brown.

I have had tomato soup which was served with a spoonful of soft, rich, creamy blue cheese melted on top at a little sandwich shop in Seattle one time which was incredibly good. So it's not too far-fetched for me to imagine a tomato sauce with some gorgonzola in it at all.

I
Do they go together?

Absolutely. I make a pasta sauce with canned tomatoes (fire-roasted or San Marzano), garlic, mushrooms, and blue cheese with a touch of dry red wine. It's delicious.

A few years ago I started making pasta with 3 distinct sauces at the same meal.
Spaghetti sauce--RED.
Alfredo--WHITE.
Pesto (basil) -- GREEN.
Just serve the pasta and let the guests have any combination (which were very colorful) to mix and match as they pleased.

I would cover 1/3 of it with Red, 1/3 with white, and 1/3 with green sauce. It was always delicious and interesting as I ate and they mixed. These colors are the colors of the Italian Flag.

I'm more of a fan of Gorgonzola than of Parmesan, so, substitute the Gorgonzola in a white sauce. Colorful and flavorful!

Depends on what mean by going together. In equal parts, no. That's a special kind of compatibility. But a bit of creamed gorgon cheese on tomatoes or topped onto soup or chinked lightly into tomato salad? Why not? I think you get a lot of leeway in accenting one food with another. That class of cheese is too powerful to use much without taking over, but a bit of it can be great, particularly with a more pedestrian food. Without trying it, I do think, though, that the combination of tomato with some gorgonzola cheese needs a third component to buffer the two acidic flavors. Not sure what that would be. Maybe cucumber. Or chicken.

Hmm. That's actually starting to sounds okay. Tomato and chicken salad with gorgonzola.

dcgator said:
I
Do they go together?

They do for me but I'd use gentle flavours, tinned cherry tomatoes are sweet with a basil sauce to go over the top would be great and ties the flavours in together :)

Sounds lovely ... Could you post it please ? Not today !

I do a gorgonzola timballo with rigatoni that is real lovely, it is baked in oven and I posted today in Pastas.

Happy 17th.
Margi Cintrano.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom