"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef

herdez salsa (not new to anybody but me probably) - it has what i've been looking for in a store-bought salsa: bright, fresh, zesty tomatoey flavor. what's different about herdez? ingredients: tomatoes, onions, serrano peppers, salt and cilantro, period. that's it. careful though, herdez "medium" is more like "hot".

Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
Master Chef

Not new either but I recently discovered Indian green chutney :) Delicious for dipping fried paneer or samosas! The chef at our Indian restaurant was kind enough to give me the recipe. Barszcz (polish beetroot soup) and amaranth (cooked as a wild spinach)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Head Chef

agave nectar

It's pretty good. Very sweet, but hint of other flavors, too. I've never tried this, but the stuff makes me curious what would happen if I added a pinch of yeast, fruit juice, etc....
Old 07-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Master Chef

"Cownose Ray" (aka "Chesapeake Bay Ray"). This is a WONDERFUL fish that is much more reminiscent of veal or beef. I've only found it offered at our local Wegmans supermarket, but understand it's available at other area markets as well. Hopefully it will take off to the point where monitoring will be put in place. Local markets are pushing it because the Cownose Ray is decimating the Chesapeake Bay oyster beds - something that they apparently can do rather rapidly.

As with skate, only the wings are eaten, but unlike skate, these wings are thicker & a rose-pink color like veal. They're also fibrous like beef/veal. I tried baking them last year (they're a seasonal fish), but they turned out too tough, so this time around I marinated them in my own "1-2-3-4" marinade that I use for beef & tuna, & cooked them on a grill pan as I would a steak. They were absolutely DELICIOUS & I can't wait to experiment with them again. At only $6-$7/pound, they're definitely a seafood bargain. If you come across them, do give them a try.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
Half Baked

"Takis" (the fuego flavor) they are rolled corn tortilla chip with some really hot spices coating them.My 9 yr old daughter brought some home from her freind at school and we were all hooked.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
Master Chef

These have been around along time but, they are new to my part of the country.

The combination of sweet and hot is great.
Tony Packo's Sweet Hot Pickles and Peppers

Klinger used to talk about Tony Packo's restaurant on MASH.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Master Chef

Rhubarb...lol! Thanks again guys for all the recipes! I must be the only idiot that discovered this only now :(

Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
"Cownose Ray" (aka "Chesapeake Bay Ray"). This is a WONDERFUL fish that is much more reminiscent of veal or beef. I've only found it offered at our local Wegmans supermarket, but understand it's available at other area markets as well. Hopefully it will take off to the point where monitoring will be put in place. Local markets are pushing it because the Cownose Ray is decimating the Chesapeake Bay oyster beds - something that they apparently can do rather rapidly.

As with skate, only the wings are eaten, but unlike skate, these wings are thicker & a rose-pink color like veal. They're also fibrous like beef/veal. I tried baking them last year (they're a seasonal fish), but they turned out too tough, so this time around I marinated them in my own "1-2-3-4" marinade that I use for beef & tuna, & cooked them on a grill pan as I would a steak. They were absolutely DELICIOUS & I can't wait to experiment with them again. At only $6-$7/pound, they're definitely a seafood bargain. If you come across them, do give them a try.
thank you for bringing this spectacular pink-fleshed fish to light here. on you tube - 2 minutes tommy with chesapeake bay ray - check it out. i don't know how to include a you tube link with a post like many of you dcers do routinely.
this fish reminds me of orange roughy many years ago that went from being a wonderfully obscure fish costing $4/pound to a national favorite at $11-$13/pound. i want a taste of this bay ray before it goes hollywood....
Old 07-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
Master Chef

I just got a few chillis from a friend but I have no idea what they are, he doesn't know the name either :( I'll keep the seeds and plant them next season.
They look a bit like pattypan squash but red..lol! Maybe I can google it

Old 07-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Not new either but I recently discovered Indian green chutney :) Delicious for dipping fried paneer or samosas! The chef at our Indian restaurant was kind enough to give me the recipe.
Ooh, I love that stuff!

Tags
food