Got a great new food find to share? (I do)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
i am not nearly as adventurous with my money as i am. or would like to be, with my food forays. there are so many tantalizing food products on market shelves, and i often feel bombarded and overwhelmed by the choices available. i want to try all of them!! but my choices are severely limited by my purse strings. :( dc is a place where new food experiences can be explored and indulged freely, and with much of the guesswork and expense significantly reduced. one of my recent snack discoveries is snack factory's pretzel crisps (omg good!) i'm also pretty head over heels about ben and jerry's newest ice cream flavor--late night snacks (as in jimmy fallon). it's vanilla with caramel swirls and chocolate coated potato chip clusters!--yeah, i know....what've you got?

I just discovered Oysters (raw) or cooked in champagne they are heaven. My daughter and DH plus the grand kids all looked like they wanted to gag but boy I didn't have that problem. I was bring em on YUM and another new discovery was grilled artichokes brushed with something tart and evoo and garlic. Both I will have again.
kades;)

Chocolate Ice Cream made with coconut milk! This is amazing stuff. I found the recipe while desperately trying to find a frozen treat that DH could have that doesn't have dairy, soy, gluten or casein in it. Very simple and delicious!!!!

Coconut water. Better than Gatorade for hydration and electrolytes.

herdez salsa (not new to anybody but me probably) - it has what i've been looking for in a store-bought salsa: bright, fresh, zesty tomatoey flavor. what's different about herdez? ingredients: tomatoes, onions, serrano peppers, salt and cilantro, period. that's it. careful though, herdez "medium" is more like "hot".

Not new either but I recently discovered Indian green chutney :) Delicious for dipping fried paneer or samosas! The chef at our Indian restaurant was kind enough to give me the recipe. Barszcz (polish beetroot soup) and amaranth (cooked as a wild spinach)

agave nectar

It's pretty good. Very sweet, but hint of other flavors, too. I've never tried this, but the stuff makes me curious what would happen if I added a pinch of yeast, fruit juice, etc....

"Cownose Ray" (aka "Chesapeake Bay Ray"). This is a WONDERFUL fish that is much more reminiscent of veal or beef. I've only found it offered at our local Wegmans supermarket, but understand it's available at other area markets as well. Hopefully it will take off to the point where monitoring will be put in place. Local markets are pushing it because the Cownose Ray is decimating the Chesapeake Bay oyster beds - something that they apparently can do rather rapidly.

As with skate, only the wings are eaten, but unlike skate, these wings are thicker & a rose-pink color like veal. They're also fibrous like beef/veal. I tried baking them last year (they're a seasonal fish), but they turned out too tough, so this time around I marinated them in my own "1-2-3-4" marinade that I use for beef & tuna, & cooked them on a grill pan as I would a steak. They were absolutely DELICIOUS & I can't wait to experiment with them again. At only $6-$7/pound, they're definitely a seafood bargain. If you come across them, do give them a try.

"Takis" (the fuego flavor) they are rolled corn tortilla chip with some really hot spices coating them.My 9 yr old daughter brought some home from her freind at school and we were all hooked.

These have been around along time but, they are new to my part of the country.

The combination of sweet and hot is great.
Tony Packo's Sweet Hot Pickles and Peppers

Klinger used to talk about Tony Packo's restaurant on MASH.

"Cownose Ray" (aka "Chesapeake Bay Ray"). This is a WONDERFUL fish that is much more reminiscent of veal or beef. I've only found it offered at our local Wegmans supermarket, but understand it's available at other area markets as well. Hopefully it will take off to the point where monitoring will be put in place. Local markets are pushing it because the Cownose Ray is decimating the Chesapeake Bay oyster beds - something that they apparently can do rather rapidly.

As with skate, only the wings are eaten, but unlike skate, these wings are thicker & a rose-pink color like veal. They're also fibrous like beef/veal. I tried baking them last year (they're a seasonal fish), but they turned out too tough, so this time around I marinated them in my own "1-2-3-4" marinade that I use for beef & tuna, & cooked them on a grill pan as I would a steak. They were absolutely DELICIOUS & I can't wait to experiment with them again. At only $6-$7/pound, they're definitely a seafood bargain. If you come across them, do give them a try.

thank you for bringing this spectacular pink-fleshed fish to light here. on you tube - 2 minutes tommy with chesapeake bay ray - check it out. i don't know how to include a you tube link with a post like many of you dcers do routinely.
this fish reminds me of orange roughy many years ago that went from being a wonderfully obscure fish costing $4/pound to a national favorite at $11-$13/pound. i want a taste of this bay ray before it goes hollywood....:)

I just got a few chillis from a friend but I have no idea what they are, he doesn't know the name either :( I'll keep the seeds and plant them next season.
They look a bit like pattypan squash but red..lol! Maybe I can google it

Not new either but I recently discovered Indian green chutney :) Delicious for dipping fried paneer or samosas! The chef at our Indian restaurant was kind enough to give me the recipe.

Ooh, I love that stuff!

Back
Top Bottom