"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I will have to say "ouch" about the Chef Boyardee too - it's NOTHING like anything Chef Boyardee actually. It may be simple but it's still homemade and full of flavor, not preservatives and pretty much the easiest thing to make for dinner in a hurry and one of the top 10 comfort-type foods out there. It doesn't even require any spices - just salt and pepper.

Kylie - the Goulash I have had is more soup-like also and I believe that is more the original version. Everything evolves over time.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
oddly enough, I don`t make mine with potatoe in it, I serve potatoe With it, never tried it with pasta or noodles though?

I use stewing steak in it also, never mince, and loads of smoked paprika :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
It may be simple but it's still homemade and full of flavor, not preservatives and pretty much the easiest thing to make for dinner in a hurry and one of the top 10 comfort-type foods out there.
Could not agree more!!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
Head Chef

I grew up with the slum-gullion form being called goulash and I still love it; especacially with good home-made buttered bread!! I also make the stew-like and also the soup-like forms of the (supposedly, depending on the authority I cook it for) real goulash. I like them all!!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I will have to say "ouch" about the Chef Boyardee too - it's NOTHING like anything Chef Boyardee actually. It may be simple but it's still homemade and full of flavor, not preservatives and pretty much the easiest thing to make for dinner in a hurry and one of the top 10 comfort-type foods out there. It doesn't even require any spices - just salt and pepper.
I meant no offense in including in my post a quote that compared the dish in question to the branded canned goods. (Fraidy, you done been throwed under a bus).

Neither did I intend any offense by referring to it as Slum Gullion.

My mother did a lot of things really well. Believe it or not, she financed some of her college by playing womens semi-professional basketball in the early 30's. She became a very sought after para-legal two or three decades before the word was invented. She was always a pillar in the community and became a leader in AARP. I say this only to take the edge off the indisputable statement that cooking was never a chore she neglected; it just was never, to say the least, her strongest suit. It is only faith in the grace and ennoblement of the risen, that gives me the courage say this.

She called it goulash. My Dad and I teased her by calling it Slum Gullion. It was her best dish and it was the first one I could decently cook without a recipe.

It is still my favorite comfort food.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #16
Senior Cook

So my pasta dish has a name, I have been making something very much like it and just called it pasta. It ismade in fry pan and the cooked pasta is add at the end.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
What you described is something we call American Chop Suey. Others call it slumgullion or goulash.
Yup! Reminds me, I gotta get my Mom's recipe! I remember it growing up! As Rachael Ray would say, Yum-o!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
skilletlicker - I think slum gullion is a familar term and don't think anyone took offense to it - Now - 'bout Chef Boyardee! lmao - And it's not Fraidy under the buss it would be YOU! lol (just kidding!!!!!!! And there are times when I just have to buy a can of Beefaroni for "old time's sake" - and it's still good, eaten one noodle at a time! )

Big Dog - You just saute some onions until cooked, add the ground beef until cooked, salt and peppering both, add a can of squished tomatoes and their juice and some tubular pasta - rigatoni is a favorite of ours, adjust seasoning (garlic powder can be added also) and eat! And Elf is right, the whole thing was made in a skillet except of course the pasta!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #19
Head Chef

My Mom would add chopped bell pepper too but I prefer chopped green chiles in this.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #20
Everymom

Very interesting thread. I never knew what slumgullion was before. I DID however think I knew what goulash was. My thought was the Hungarian version.

How cool it is that one word can mean so many different things. Evolution (of recipes and language) is pretty neat. (Elfie, I'm tempted here to mention BBQ and the many and varied ways that word is used...heeheeheehee!!)

So, having said that, did everyone post their recipes for slumgullion and goulash? And what particular subforum do I look in? Beef? (Going to check your link in a second Michael)