Grains of Paradise (Melegueta Pepper)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I recently ordered some herbs and spices and received a sample of this and was wondering if anyone had ideas/ recipes using it?

I haven't used it, but from the description, it sounds like a good prospect for dishes of more bland vegetables and maybe fruit/meat combinations. Maybe lamb, being a more subdued meat that's often given some help from strong flavored companions and sauces.

It's great with strawberries and vanilla sorbet. It tastes peppery but has a bit of floral and citrus flavour. Hard to describe. It's also nice with pork and apple sauce and you can add some to curry or grind some into batter or bread crumbs for coating fish and seafood.

Yum!

It's great with strawberries and vanilla sorbet. It tastes peppery but has a bit of floral and citrus flavour. Hard to describe. It's also nice with pork and apple sauce and you can add some to curry or grind some into batter or bread crumbs for coating fish and seafood.

I have some fresh Florida strawberries and a new ice cream maker to try out. I guess that is what I'll do later today. Thanks!

I have some fresh Florida strawberries and a new ice cream maker to try out. I guess that is what I'll do later today. Thanks!

Only a pleasure :) Hope you enjoy it! If you halve the strawberries and toss with a touch of lemon juice and powdered sugar before adding your spice and marinate in the fridge for an hour or so, the flavours come out more.

Back
Top Bottom