Granola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone here make their own granola? I used to and am thinking I might give it another go soon. I tend to wing it mostly with the recipes, but wouldn't mind having a reference of some kind. Does anyone have a TNT recipe they'd share?

Paula Deen had one that started out looking good, but she put condensed milk on it and I don't think that is very healthy, even if the liquid does cook out.

I saw Contessa making some too...hers looked better than Paula's. Why don't you check out the website? Sadly, they don't seem to have the search anymore, but you can pull up her program and look at all the past episodes.

mudbug said:
Alix, I have a pretty good one from my Age of Aquarius days. Will have to look for it, tho, and get back to you.

I knew there was a reason I liked you, bug. Do you have a recipe for Magic Brownies? :LOL:

Constance said:
I knew there was a reason I liked you, bug. Do you have a recipe for Magic Brownies? :LOL:
Okay you two, you find the magic recipe for brownies and I'm in:LOL: big time. Lemme go get my beads.

kadesma:-p

granola

Yep, I still make my own granola. I make a large batch in a roaster type pan.

6 cups rolled oats

6 cups total of other optional ingredients;
whole wheat flour
soy flour
wheat germ
bran
sunflower seeds
sesame seeds
no-fat dry milk
coconut
nuts, I usually use almonds, lots of em
whatever else you have on hand
Mix dry ingredients in a large pan

Heat;
1/2 to 1 cup oil or butter
1/2 to 1 cup maple syrup or honey
1/2 cup water
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. vanilla
1 t. almond extract

Pour heated liquid ingredients over dry in pan, stir. Bake at 250 degrees F for two hours, stirring often. Toast until you think it is done. Now, where on earth did I put that brownie recipe?:ROFLMAO:

Constance said:
Why don't you check out the website? Sadly, they don't seem to have the search anymore, but you can pull up her program and look at all the past episodes.

The search function is still there, up at the top of the page when it fully loads.

Thanks beth, that was very helpful. I have never put dry milk in mine though. That is an interesting idea. How much do you put in? 1/2 cup or so?

I do not put the dry milk in my granola, that was just on option listed in the cookbook. I usually eat the granola with a dairy product so never felt the need to add any non-fat milk to the granola.

my parents do grind the wheat... the night before.. then some water and a spoon of honey on it and let rest over night..
then you can add whatever you want.. apples, bananas, raisins.....

Granola recipe from the 70s

OK, you freaks -
Put on some Inna Gadda da Vida and get on your best patched pair of jeans. We're gonna make some granola........

6 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup (or more to taste) chopped assorted nuts and sunflower seeds

raisins to taste

2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup oil

Heat honey and oil until they come together ("...right now...over me").
Slowly pour mixture over dry ingredients. Mix carefully with hands until well coated.

Spread on cookie sheet approximately 1/4 inch thick. Toast in oven at 350 until golden brown (turning so it won't burn). Add raisins while cooling.

I think I also used to chop up and add dried apricots to this.

Thanks mudbug, I do dried apricots too. I always tossed the raisins in at the beginning though. Any reason why you wait til the end to toss 'em in?

Haven't made this in ages - just typed out what the recipe said. I would guess it's so the raisins don't dry out too much and turn into little pieces of asphalt.

I don't remember where this is from but I know I made it once, many moons ago, and liked it:

3 c regular oats
2 c sweetened puffed-wheat cereal
½ c wheat bran
2 Tbsp slivered almonds
1/2 c applesauce
1/3 c honey
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
½ c chopped dried apricots
½ c sweetened dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 375F.

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine applesauce, honey, oil, cinnamon, and ginger in a small saucepan, and cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until honey is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour applesauce mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat. Place mixture in a jelly-roll pan, and bake at 375F for 20 minutes. Gently stir granola, and bake an additional 15 minutes or until dry. Cool. Stir in apricots and cranberries.

Store in an airtight container.

Makes 7 cups (or 14 half-cup servings)

3 cups regular oats
1 cup whole-grain toasted oat cereal (such as Cheerios)
1/3 cup oat bran
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped dried apple

Preheat oven to 250°.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well to combine.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup applesauce, honey, and brown sugar to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Pour applesauce mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat. Spread mixture in an even layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 250° for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Stir in chopped apple.
Note: Store granola in an airtight container up to one week.

Thanks PA, that looks lovely.

SierraCook, I knew you would have some help for me, I think Ken will particularly like the cranberry almond one.

As for the raisins, Ken and I both prefer them to be rather chewy and hard so I guess that is why I have always put them in at the beginning. Most of the time raisins in things make me gag. But for some unknown reason if they are rock hard, I can tolerate them. Weird I know.

Back
Top Bottom