Gravy Woes -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly if you are not adding broth to the bottom of the pan, then the only drippings you would get would be fat running off the chicken. To much of that lost, dry bird, so bad for gravy good for the bird!
I use to do it the way Karen did it, kinda LOL. I would add a little liquid to deglaze then set aside. In a sauce pan I would add equal parts butter and flour (how much depends on how much and how thick you want the gravy), then add in the mixture from the pan plus some more chicken stock and usually just a little milk or cream.
Now I have the chicken up on a rack and so I put about a cup or two of broth in the pan. Once the chicken is done, I make the roux then add in the liquid from the pan the bird was cooked in plus a little milk or cream then cook until thickened and then done!

Do you keep your bird covered?

I get quite a bit of drippings by browning the bird in a 450 oven for the first few minutes, then lowering the heat.

Well if it's just a few tablespoons of drippings.

Drop the flour into the drippings(assuming chicken fat), fry the flour a bit and either add chicken broth, or milk... or both...

I know with fried chicken, there is plenty of flavor in the drippings to make terrific gravy using milk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom