Greek Yogurt Treat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I did this tonight:

A scoop of Greek Yogurt
1/2 tsp of fresh orange zest (it had been sitting for a few hours and was from a Navel orange, so was moist)
1+ tsp of fresh orange juice
Splash of maple syrup (or maybe a wee bit more than a splash)

I topped the scoop of yogurt with the orange zest, juice, and syrup. Oh, yummy. I want to make ice cream that tastes like this.

So, besides using Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream in recipes, how do you like to eat Greek Yogurt?

I love it topped with pomegranate arils, chopped walnuts, rolled oats, and a drizzle of honey. It's my all-time favorite breakfast parfait, and a fairly(not prefectly) balanced small meal/snack to boot.

I like my plain greek yogurt topped with walnuts and drizzled with honey. I am obsessed with greek yogurt now. I get the big 2 lb. tub of Chobani at BJ's.

I need to find more uses for it.

When I was young I didn't really like yogurt, I was always expecting it to taste like pudding because the picture on the cup looked like pudding, but then it wasn't pudding!

Josie, use your regular yogurt recipe (I use whole milk, because it makes a thicker yogurt, but I don't think that matters.)

After your yogurt has set, line a colander with a clean, damp tea towel, or several layers of cheesecloth, and set it in a large bowl. Dump the yogurt in and leave it overnight. In the morning, you will have lovely Greek yogurt, less tart than regular yogurt, and with higher protein and lower carbs. I understand that some folks use the leftover liquid in the bowl for bread making. My dogs like it.

The tea towel will peel off of the yogurt, so that is not as messy as it might seem.

If you find that your yogurt is too thick, whisk some of the liquid back in.

Josie, use your regular yogurt recipe (I use whole milk, because it makes a thicker yogurt, but I don't think that matters.)

After your yogurt has set, line a colander with a clean, damp tea towel, or several layers of cheesecloth, and set it in a large bowl. Dump the yogurt in and leave it overnight. In the morning, you will have lovely Greek yogurt, less tart than regular yogurt, and with higher protein and lower carbs. I understand that some folks use the leftover liquid in the bowl for bread making. My dogs like it.

The tea towel will peel off of the yogurt, so that is not as messy as it might seem.

I have found that a coffee filter works well for this type of thing.

Greek yoghurt because it's used to make tzatziki?

I've always heard it called yoghurt cheese.

I prefer the tea towel. It works better than cheese cloth and it's reusable.

Last edited:
I confess...
Other than maybe inadvertently or unrecognized at a shop/restaurant, I've never had Greek yogurt. I've seen them proliferate in grocery stores the past couple years and will pick one up on my next trip to try.

Sparrowgrass, Thanks for the directions. I did not know that was all it took to make Greek yogurt. I have done it before, to make yogurt cheese.
Just shows how much we can learn from each other.:)

Josie

I make a gallon at a time, so a coffee filter would not be big enough. A tea towel (not terry!) works really well, but now I am using a 'wine bag'. It is a large nylon net bag that is used to hold several gallons of fruit when you are making wine. I don't put the yogurt inside the bag, I just lay the bag in the strainer, so it is doubled. A jelly bag would work, too, but the wine bag is bigger for bigger batches of yogurt.

Yep, the only difference between yogurt cheese and Greek yogurt is how much liquid you allow to drain off. I haven't used yogurt cheese for anything--any suggestions?

I make a gallon at a time, so a coffee filter would not be big enough. A tea towel (not terry!) works really well, but now I am using a 'wine bag'. It is a large nylon net bag that is used to hold several gallons of fruit when you are making wine. I don't put the yogurt inside the bag, I just lay the bag in the strainer, so it is doubled. A jelly bag would work, too, but the wine bag is bigger for bigger batches of yogurt.

Yep, the only difference between yogurt cheese and Greek yogurt is how much liquid you allow to drain off. I haven't used yogurt cheese for anything--any suggestions?

It's classic as an ingredient in tzatziki.

I really like pineapple greek yogurt with fresh oranges dipped in it. Or, fig greek yogurt topped with smoked almonds.

I like it with a lot of different additions.

One way is with a drizzle of honey and pistachios or walnuts.

Another is with a spoonful of lemon curd. I will sometimes add some dried pomogranite seeds from Trader Joe's.

A spoon of whole-fruit jam is yummy.

It's really versatile. I love it. :)

Greek yogurt (Honey or Vanilla) with my favorite nut granola. yummmm

I also sometimes have it with whatever fruit I have on hand as well as the granola; it takes care of my rare sweet-tooth perfectly.

I noticed that the last President's Choice "flyer" has introduced three fruit flavors of greek yogurt in one-serving size and the larger size, PC has introduced plain with honey.

Back
Top Bottom