Green Bags storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Has anyone given these a try yet?
https://www.greenbags.com/?cid=402572
It's got sound and vid, so you may want to adjust your volume.

I would love to get thirty days out of produce in my fridge, since the trips to town are not as frequent as they used to be :(

I've been wondering about them also....
I'd LOVE not to shop every week just to fill the produce drawer!!!

Never heard of them, but if they work as promised I'd definitely be interested. Like, pacanis, I don't get to the store except every 2 weeks or more. It would definitely help if I could get the produce to last longer. I would also like to be able to buy a greater variety. I'd be interested in hearing from those folks who have had some experience with the green bags.

Well that's certainly a positive endorsement.

While they seem kinda pricey for what they are, like mentioned, if you can save some trips into the store (I haven't had fresh produce in two weeks!) and the stuff you buy lasts longer.
Yahoo!

The ad claims a bag can be used 10 times, so that would be 200 uses for $17. I am considering ordering some. We waste a lot of produce.

Anyone who is considering ordering these bags may wish to look at the reviews on Amazon and Chowhound. I find the extreme divergence of opinion fascinating.

Pete K.

Huh. Never saw two opnions on something before..... :huh:
:LOL:
Thanks for the link, Pete. That is odd. From absolutely loving them to absolutely hating them.

So...... who here is going to pull the trigger and give them the 'ol DC try? :)

I think some of us would be interested in your experiences with them.
I would anyway.....

What he said ^^^
I'm gonna go plant some spinach to put in 'em. :)

For what it's worth and for those interested, our Walgreens has the Green Bags on sale this week...20 bags for $9.99. Don't know if it's a nationwide sale, but it might be worth checking out if you have a Walgreens store near you.

I use them and think they do a wonderful job. Try your bananas in them....don't turn brown and keep for quite awhile. Other fruits and veggies have done very well in them too. I highly recommend them!

They are being sold at night on TV. Am a night owl when I can afford to be and see the ads regularly.

The idea confuses me however. Let us take the claim at face value - the plastic absorbs the ethylene gas that causes fruits and veggies to rot.

If you put the items in the fridge or on the counter, unwrapped, would not the ethylene gas just get dispersed into the surrounding air? Does it matter if the gas is removed by mixing with the room air or sucked up by some treated plastic?

My guess is that it provides a wrapper/container to keep items from drying out and at the same time absorbs the ethylene gas that would normally build up in a plastic bag.

Maybe so. But I would love to know what the experience of DC'ers is.

:) This is what I use they work great. I also think storing lettuce etc soaking wet from the sprayers speeds spoilage. You can do some things on your own like put mushrooms in a paper bag instead of the plastic. I like to wrap a paper towel ot two around a bundle of asparagus seems to keep it fresher longer. Anyone have any other tricks?

Extra Life Produce Preserver - Doubles the life of fresh fruits and vegetables

I didn't know that about mushrooms.
They always seem to keep longer (for me) before I tear the plastic wrap. Then if I don't use them all they get wet/slimey really fast. Yet if I don't open them up for days, they are fine.
I bought some shrooms last Thurs., cooked some Fri., then handi-vacced the rest in their container..... I just opened them back up and they were almost like they were a week ago. That's doing pretty good for me.

I've heard celery lasts longer wrapped in foil.
I guess it does, I've only tried it once or twice.

I've used a green bag but I'm not sure what brand it was. A friend lent us one to try and I really don't think it did anything. The bananas seemed to go in their usual amount of time. But maybe we weren't covering them, right?

There was a brief article written on them in the latest CR magazine. They compared it to using regular ziplok bags. The green bags only did better with bananas, but it most cases, the ziploks actually did better.

Back
Top Bottom