Green Bean Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you make/serve Green Bean Casserole?

• YES! We love this dish!

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • NO! Can't stand it!

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Yes. I don't like it, but make it for others.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care one way or the other

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
This new traditional dish from the 50s or 60s seems to be everywhere around the holidays.

What's your opinion on this dish?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't like this dish. I used to love it but have gotten away from recipes made with canned soups.

I'm with you, I've outgrown it.

I try to use more fresh vegetables and homemade sauces when I cook. It gives me some small measure of control on what is going into the pot, it is cheaper and IMHO I am a better cook than the good folks at Campbell's:LOL:

Nothing against the concept. How can anyone be against green beans in a casserole? And a lot of people expect it and consider it a tradition. But the typical version is pretty hideous, with its oddly glutenous mushroom soup, plastic cheese, and greasy fried onions. Why not a far more pleasing body of a buttery sour cream or creme fraiche sauce with lots of garlic and a touch of cayenne, beans layered with sliced cremini mushrooms, an interesting cheese like Fiorii Sardo or even Grana Padano, and instead of being heavily crusted in those fried onions, a light, even topping of crisp fried shallots and the whole on a base of toasted crumbs of good bread. I don't mind opening a can for some things (okay - not many things), but this casserole tends to play a major role in holiday meals, and it's worth doing something well above usual public school cafeteria standard.

Nothing against the concept. How can anyone be against green beans in a casserole? And a lot of people expect it and consider it a tradition. But the typical version is pretty hideous, with its oddly glutenous mushroom soup, plastic cheese, and greasy fried onions. Why not a far more pleasing body of a buttery sour cream or creme fraiche sauce with lots of garlic and a touch of cayenne, beans layered with sliced cremini mushrooms, an interesting cheese like Fiorii Sardo or even Grana Padano, and instead of being heavily crusted in those fried onions, a light, even topping of crisp fried shallots and the whole on a base of toasted crumbs of good bread. I don't mind opening a can for some things (okay - not many things), but this casserole tends to play a major role in holiday meals, and it's worth doing something well above usual public school cafeteria standard.

Casseroles are great. It's the cream of mushrooms that throw me off. I'm not a fan of mushrooms...

I, like others, prefer fresh ingredients. I love the taste of fresh green beans, so I'd rather enhance the flavor rather than smother. RockLobster--nice to see you back!

I admit I like it, but with fresh or frozen green beans. While I was growing up, it was typically made with mushy canned beans.

always have hated the green bean casserole w/mushroom soup and french fried onions, but i could happily make a pig of myself with yours, glc.:pig:

If you're ever in St. Augustine, Florida, there is a place called "Schooner's" on US1-North, that always has homemade casseroles for a couple of their sides.

Their green-bean casserole is made with a thick, creamy white sauce, mixed with fresh mushrooms and an Italian style blend of bread crumbs to thicken it.

It's so good that it would be great as a meal in itself!

Their broccoli casserole is just as good!

Schooner's is one of those restaurants that are well known and loved by the locals. Awesome food!:chef:

always have hated the green bean casserole w/mushroom soup and french fried onions, but i could happily make a pig of myself with yours, glc.:pig:

I think I just talked myself into that being my contribution this year. It will be fun to know people will groan to hear of such a dreadful old standby before knocking them out with the good version. Have to remember to hit the farmers market to see if anyone has some killer fresh beans.

I love Green Bean Casserole but normally when it's made for special holidays whoever makes it uses Mushroom soup and I absolutely DESPISE Mushrooms. Does anyone else have a recipe that using something else other than that?

Mine is a completely different type of green bean dish....it has no cream of mushroom soup, blech!....LOL
It's sort of a non measurement dish....frozen, fresh or even canned green beans.....if fresh or frozen give them a little cooking....crush up different kinds of crackers, in your hands and mix them up into the beans in a large bowl. Here in Canada we have an Ingersoll sharp cheddar cold pressed cheese....I use a fork and break up a good amount of the cheese and mix it well with the beans and crackers.....sometimes I'll use some velveeta or soft cheddar....put into a buttered dish and bake at 325F until it's browned a bit....I then cover it for a while. Our family, especially the grandkids, who are now men, love it....I never have leftovers....it really is good...I'm just sorry I can't give you regular measurements, but I'm sure you'll be able to wing it....Enjoy!!!!

No cream of any kind, Ella?
What is the consistency like. It sounds good. Is it really thick?

Nope, no cream.....the goodly amount of cheese makes it "soft"....especially if you use some velveeta or cheeze whiz....and the longer it bakes, uncovered, it will become crispier.

Back
Top Bottom