"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you make/serve Green Bean Casserole?
YES! We love this dish! 11 37.93%
NO! Can't stand it! 12 41.38%
Yes. I don't like it, but make it for others. 0 0%
I don't care one way or the other 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Green Bean Casserole

This new traditional dish from the 50s or 60s seems to be everywhere around the holidays.

What's your opinion on this dish?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I really don't like this dish. I used to love it but have gotten away from recipes made with canned soups.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'm with you, I've outgrown it.

I try to use more fresh vegetables and homemade sauces when I cook. It gives me some small measure of control on what is going into the pot, it is cheaper and IMHO I am a better cook than the good folks at Campbell's
Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Head Chef

Don't like it. Never have.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Head Chef

Nothing against the concept. How can anyone be against green beans in a casserole? And a lot of people expect it and consider it a tradition. But the typical version is pretty hideous, with its oddly glutenous mushroom soup, plastic cheese, and greasy fried onions. Why not a far more pleasing body of a buttery sour cream or creme fraiche sauce with lots of garlic and a touch of cayenne, beans layered with sliced cremini mushrooms, an interesting cheese like Fiorii Sardo or even Grana Padano, and instead of being heavily crusted in those fried onions, a light, even topping of crisp fried shallots and the whole on a base of toasted crumbs of good bread. I don't mind opening a can for some things (okay - not many things), but this casserole tends to play a major role in holiday meals, and it's worth doing something well above usual public school cafeteria standard.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Nothing against the concept. How can anyone be against green beans in a casserole? And a lot of people expect it and consider it a tradition. But the typical version is pretty hideous, with its oddly glutenous mushroom soup, plastic cheese, and greasy fried onions. Why not a far more pleasing body of a buttery sour cream or creme fraiche sauce with lots of garlic and a touch of cayenne, beans layered with sliced cremini mushrooms, an interesting cheese like Fiorii Sardo or even Grana Padano, and instead of being heavily crusted in those fried onions, a light, even topping of crisp fried shallots and the whole on a base of toasted crumbs of good bread. I don't mind opening a can for some things (okay - not many things), but this casserole tends to play a major role in holiday meals, and it's worth doing something well above usual public school cafeteria standard.
Casseroles are great. It's the cream of mushrooms that throw me off. I'm not a fan of mushrooms...
Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Wine Guy

I love it, but have updated it to use all fresh ingredients. No more mushroom soup!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Never had it. I've seen it a zillion times in books and such, but I only eat veggies steamed, boiled, or roasted, with not much other than butter, olive oil and flavored vinegars...
Old 10-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I, like others, prefer fresh ingredients. I love the taste of fresh green beans, so I'd rather enhance the flavor rather than smother. RockLobster--nice to see you back!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
RockLobster--nice to see you back!
. Thanks!

Tags
casserole