Green Chile cheese burger sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rush

Senior Cook
I love the idea of green chile in a burger, but after some experimentation, I just haven't found a recipe that really hits the spot.

Main reason being, the traditional green chile cheese burger doesn't come standard with a sauce.

I feel like every burger needs a sauce to tie everything together. Otherwise, it's bland...

Bobby Flay had a green chile sauce, where he basically pureed poblano pepper, onions, garlic, and honey. I tried it, and I was underwhelmed... the sauce was just too mild for me. Maybe it needed to be spicier... smokier... sweeter... I don't know for sure, but it was definitely missing something(s).

Maybe I need to make the sauce with jalapeno peppers? And add more honey? And then drizzle that sauce on top of a burger patty that's also laden with a strip of poblano or anaheim pepper?

The pepper sauce + pepper strip might make the burger more flavorful and bold?

Other than that, I think chipotle mayo would work... but I already use chipotle mayo (Kraft version) for my guacamole bacon burgers... I don't know if I wanna make them too similar, 'cause I went through a guacamole bacon phase just recently, and I'm craving a burger that's a bit different...

A green chile cheese burger would be nice, but I wish I knew of a surefire sauce that just makes sense.

I would think that substituting a hotter pepper for some of the poblanos might be a good idea. According to Wikipedia, red poblanos are a lot hotter than green ones.

I also notice there is no parsley or cilantro. Either one of those should kick up the other flavours in the sauce.

you wish for more smoky and spicy flavor. why not grill/smoke pablano AND jalapeno and then make a sauce with them?

You never know what you are getting with pablano chilis. Sometimes they are as mild as a green bell and sometimes they have a kick similar to jalapeno. Taste the chili raw. That should give you an idea of heat level. If the heat isn't where you want it, add serrano to spice it up. They are hotter than jalapeno for their size and will keep the theme of using fresh chilis. You can also rehydrate some dried arbols which will give a much healthier kick. I prefer a "chunky" green chili sauce, so thin strips for me. Leave out the honey, add some freshly ground cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Saute the sauce to reduce and/or use masa harina as a thickener.

Always blacken the skin and remove it, along with the stems and seeds. Much better flavor in the final product.

Craig

Last edited:
Maybe you're getting your recipe from the wrong state? In California, the green chile sauce is milder than the red chile sauce. In New Mexico the green sauce is hotter than the red. Google New Mexico Green Chile Sauce and see if you find something a bit different that will make your hair and eyeballs sweat.

You never know what you are getting with pablano chilis. Sometimes they are as mild as a green bell and sometimes they have a kick similar to jalapeno. Taste the chili raw. That should give you an idea of heat level. If the heat isn't where you want it, add serrano to spice it up. They are hotter than jalapeno for their size and will keep the theme of using fresh chilis. You can also rehydrate some dried arbols which will give a much healthier kick. I prefer a "chunky" green chili sauce, so thin strips for me. Leave out the honey, add some freshly ground cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Saute the sauce to reduce and/or use masa harina as a thickener.

Always blacken the skin and remove it, along with the stems and seeds. Much better flavor in the final product.

Craig

Thanks.

I don't want it spicy for the sake of being spicy. Dried arbols are like bullet peppers, right? I think serrano, poblano, anaheim, etc add flavor as well as some smokiness/spiciness. Bullet peppers just hit you out of nowhere. You can't even taste it. All you know is that your tongue's on fire.

I agree that poblanos are sort of a grab bag. More times than not, they're gonna be mild. Sometimes you get a freak poblano that's as spicy as a jalapeno, if not spicier. Hate when that happens...

Why do you forbid the honey? I think it would be nice for the burger to be sweet and spicy...

I know I want the burger to have more dimensions than just "peppery"... maybe I'll add some bacon?

you wish for more smoky and spicy flavor. why not grill/smoke pablano AND jalapeno and then make a sauce with them?

I'm considering it...

I'm thinking I'll either double up on the poblano peppers, or maybe I'll add a jalapeno.

I don't know how either will turn out.

Green chile burgers are under-researched, in my opinion. Seems like the recipe is just standard, restaurant to restaurant. None of the top chefs really have a secret weapon up their sleeves. It's just the usual smoked poblano/anaheim/big jim laid on top of a cheeseburger...

Flay's trump card is apparently tortilla chips, but it's not really a flavor enhancement. Maybe a textural enhancement, if anything, but I'll pass.

Add pepper jack cheese.

Tried it with pepper jack in the past.

Pepper jack isn't gonna make or break a burger.

A sauce on the other hand, can have that consequence. I'm looking for a killer sauce that makes sense.

I would think that substituting a hotter pepper for some of the poblanos might be a good idea. According to Wikipedia, red poblanos are a lot hotter than green ones.

I also notice there is no parsley or cilantro. Either one of those should kick up the other flavours in the sauce.

Flay says to either add oregano or epazote.

Thanks, but like I said, I'm looking to really kick this burger into another gear. Herbs are not gonna make that happen. Maybe a subtle hint of herbs in the sauce, at best... that's more "finishing touch" territory.

I'm not even there...

Last edited:
Thanks.

I don't want it spicy for the sake of being spicy. Dried arbols are like bullet peppers, right? I think serrano, poblano, anaheim, etc add flavor as well as some smokiness/spiciness. Bullet peppers just hit you out of nowhere. You can't even taste it. All you know is that your tongue's on fire.

I agree that poblanos are sort of a grab bag. More times than not, they're gonna be mild. Sometimes you get a freak poblano that's as spicy as a jalapeno, if not spicier. Hate when that happens...

Why do you forbid the honey? I think it would be nice for the burger to be sweet and spicy...

I know I want the burger to have more dimensions than just "peppery"... maybe I'll add some bacon?

I have never heard the term "bullet pepper". I suggested the arbol as a means of adding heat without having to add a lot of additional peppers. Never mentioned adding so much that it takes over and is too hot to eat.

I think Flay is a SW flavor enthusiast, so I can't imagine him making a green chili sauce without cumin. As for the honey, I don't think it goes well with a savory burger sauce. At the end of the day, it is your sauce so make it as you wish.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom