Green onion tops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
My man loves green onions. But only the bottom. He eats them raw as a snack all the time and throws out the tops. I hate wasting food so I thought I'd ask for some ideas of what I could do with the tops. :)

...add them to other leftover vegetables, a can of Great White Northern Beans, can of diced tomatoes, basil, thyme, garlic, and chickenstock for SOUP :)

If I have green onions I use the whole thing in mashed potatoes...The greeens willl work well in mashed potatoes, or fried I slice them fine, salt and pepper tasty and mild.
kadesma:)

I use them, along with the bottom part, in anything I use onion in, but my two favorite uses are as a substitute for chives on a baked potato with sour cream, and in salad.

:)Barbara

I use them in a marinade for flank steak, you use soy, sherry, scallions, garlic, S&P, and veggie oil... Mix all together and marinate for 24 hours, then I grill...

You can also use chicken, or pork... :)

I love it. Its slight sweet and helps in garnishing. I wan to share a recipe which include green onion tops or green onions or green onions with tops or scallion tops or scallions or spring onions or green onion stems or fresh scallions or whole green onions or spring onion leaves or dried green onion flakes as ingredients.

Ingredients:
1) 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2) 2 egg yolks
3) 1 garlic clove, minced
4) 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
5) 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
6) 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
7) 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
8) 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
9) 8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed
10)1/3 cup butter, melted
11)lemon wedge

Directions
1) Heat oven to 350 F.
2) In bowl, mash together feta cheese, egg yolks and garlic. Mix in onions, parsley, mint and pepper.
3) Cut chicken breast in half almost but not all the way through; open like book. Spread feta mixture evenly on 1 half of each breast; fold breast over to enclose.
4) Place 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface, keeping remainder covered with damp towel to prevent drying out. Brush lightly with some of the butter; top with second sheet and brush lightly with butter. Centre 1 breast on phyllo about 2 inches (5 cm) from short edge; fold long sides over chicken and roll up. Repeat with remaining chicken.
5) Place in lightly greased baking dish; brush with remaining butter. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.).
6) Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until crisp and golden, about 45 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

Back
Top Bottom