"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Grill like a restaurant?

Hello from a newbie. Is it possible to grill meat in the kitchen and it should taste like the steaks they serve in the grill restaurants? If yes, what do I need?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Cook

Absolutely. Not to brag, but I regularly turn out steaks much better than the common steakhouse fare. I've never eaten at a Morton's or Ruth's Chris; so, I can't compare my product to the high end joints.

Basically, all you need is a grill a steak. Find a run or seasoning that you like (hard to beat kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper), apply it to the steak, and grill it to your liking. Grill setup will depend on what grill you have.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Please excuse my ignorance, but what'a a "grill a steak"? Is that like a George Foreman because that certainly doesn't give a grilled taste like at a restaurant grill house?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Ruth Chris's uses butter.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

What are you talking about? I don't understand.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Secret #1 in making your food taste like restaurant food is to use enough seasoning. Don't be afraid of S+P.

Other than that, just make sure your grill is hot and don't be afraid to finish your steak in the oven if needed.

If you're doing the above, you can't really mess it up unless you're buying poor quality meat.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I'll take a stab at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggberger View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but what'a a "grill a steak"? Is that like a George Foreman because that certainly doesn't give a grilled taste like at a restaurant grill house?
...I think they mean outdoor grilling, using charcoal, wood, both, or gas flame under a metal grate. There are volumes written on the technique. Now Cookie is using an oven top grill or he is broiling them. If he's getting great results, he's buying good steaks from the start. Interestingly though, the Foreman grill does do a great job on burgers. A friend told me once he saw a burger-cook off where the winner used a griddle, not a grill. Back when, and I mean way back there, I was at a YMCA summer camp where we were to cook our own burgers. The technique was to dig a hole in the ground about a foot in diameter and about eight inches deep, and fill it with wood and burn it until it turned to glowing embers. A beef patty wrapped in tin foil was placed in on the coals for three, four minutes. I think it was the best burger I ever ate. I believe it's because it cooks in it's own fat. That is why a perfectly marbled rib eye is so great.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggberger View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but what'a a "grill a steak"?

Perhaps he forgot a comma. I think he meant a grill and a steak. I just use my stove top (electric), it is all about the meat quality and the seasonings. I also just use sea salt and pepper.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggberger
Is it possible to grill meat in the kitchen and it should taste like the steaks they serve in the grill restaurants?
Hey Eggberger, Welcome to DC. I am going to approach your question a bit differently. In the KITCHEN? I'm gonna say IMO..NO! In your back yard on a BBQ grill fired with a good lump charcoal..my answer is YES and even better than restaurants. You would only need a basic BBQ grill...Weber would be a good choice of brands.

Can you pan sear your steak in your kitchen, and finish in the oven. Yes. with excellent results!

Hope this helps...

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Cook

Sorry for the typos in my previous post.

As for cooking a steak in the kitchen, if you have an oven safe fry pan or skillet, put some oil in the pan/skillet and heat it on the stove stop. Sear both sides of the steak and then put put the skillet in the oven with the steaks (400-500 degrees) and cook until you reach your preferred level of doneness. The leavings in the pan can be used to make a sauce.

Here is a youtube video of a chef doing steaks in such a manner:

Personally, I'd grill steaks, but pan frying will work in a pinch. I have a coworker that likes cooking them in such a manner.