"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Head Chef

Grill or pan fry

I am a huge fan of thick, juicy steaks on the grill, however the topic came up over the weekend and much to my surprise a few people had said they heard the best way to cook a steak is to pan fry... While I know that one done in a cast iron skillet can do so major, yummy crusting on a steak, i'm not sure that this is the "best way"

What do you all think???

Old 06-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

the best steaks I've had while dining out at fine restaurants have been done in a pan and then sauced. Much better than the grill at a steak house.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

My dad use to pan fry burgers and thick steaks. He would take co pan get it somkin then put salt in the bottom, lay on the meat and walk away. When it got crusty and released it's self he would turn it leave it for several minutes and remove from the pan. Talk about good. These were the best.
kades
Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think it's a matter of personal preference.
Completely agree, as done properly, both ways are excellent for doing steaks. So you need to take into account level of 'doneness', marinades, toppings, rubs etc. and pick the method to suit your preference.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
My dad use to pan fry burgers and thick steaks. He would take co pan get it somkin then put salt in the bottom, lay on the meat and walk away. When it got crusty and released it's self he would turn it leave it for several minutes and remove from the pan. Talk about good. These were the best.
kades
My Daddy did the very same thing Kades........out of this world good. He used an iron skillet screaming hot, with no oil, just Kosher salt. I actually forgot about it until now. Yumm......

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I do mine much as Kayelle - Get a CI skillet very hot on the stove and preheat my oven to 350. Dry fry the steak 3 minutes per side, turning only once, then bake for 3 minutes at 350, remove from the skillet and let rest for 3 minutes. It will be a nearly perfect medium rare every time, juicy and tender but with a nice crust!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Master Chef

I actually prefer a steak grilled, but reality interferes with life sometimes, and the way I had it mostly as a kid was pan fried, and I still like it. Butter, onions, and mushrooms go well with pan frying.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
Head Chef

Ok I see pan fried is in the lead, so heres my next question... I can't use a CI on my stove as it is glass top, and now I really want to try this method, so can I, and has anybody ever, used a CI on the bbq??? Would I get the same results???
Old 06-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

You can absolutely use CI on your grill. I actually prefer to use CI over the grill. this makes a lotta smoke in the house. We live in an old farmhouse and don't have a vent fan, so we throw the windows open and turn on a window fan. On the grill is better. Good luck in your endeavor.